Buttress, Right Edge of West Massif

Buttress, Right Edge of West Massif

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.62320°N / 34.33820°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 1B (Russian Grade), II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the bus stop on highway go up the road in mountain direction (15-20 minutes). There is only one road which goes to the mountain. Then near the mountain turn left on the path across the forest. It is easy to find because almost everybody use this approach. Then about 5-10 minutes by no technical rocks to the buttress.

Route Description


R0 – R1: The Route starts on one of many ledges of toe – the bottom part of the buttress. Difficulty of the section is I-II.
R1 – R2: Go up to the ridge (III, 8 m), then straight up by the vertical wall (III+, 8 m). After that is easy climb (II) up the buttress. R2 is on the tree. It is surely.
R2 – R3: Up to the buttress by easy rocks (II, 40 m). R3 is on any ledge with tree.
R3 – R4: First up by the middle difficulty rocks (III), then by the vertical cracked corner (III+, 10 m). Further is 10 m to the easy ridge (I). R4 is on the ledge of the ridge. Length of section is 30-40 m.
R4 – R5: Crucial pitch. Further to the end of ridge by vertical wall with crack (IV, 5 m), then small ledge and one more wall (IV, 5 m) before wide ledge. Go left by the ledge, further climb a little by the easy rocks. Then between two trees is way to the summit (20 m). Length of the pitch is 40 m.

Route has many trees and old bolts and pitons. It helps to identify the route and to make anchors.

Essential Gear


- Helmet;
- Set of nuts;
- 10 Quickdraws;
- 5 long Runners;

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.