Buzzard Rock Comments

BobSmithCommon Names!

BobSmith

Buzzard Rock(s) has to be right up there with the most common names for peaks in the eastern USA. Along with Stone Mountains and Rocky Mountains and Pine Mountains and Green Mountains, etc. and etc. We even have a local Buzzard Rocks on the hike up to King's Pinnacle! They're everywhere!
Posted Jan 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Common Names!

Bob Sihler

Yeah, someone had a lot of imagination. I found something like 6 or 7 Buzzard Rock/Rocks in Virginia alone. Almost as creative as all the peaks in the West named Thunder/Electric, etc.
Posted Jan 23, 2010 5:56 pm

CheesySciFiRe: Common Names!

CheesySciFi

Shenandoah National Park also has two mountains named Blackrock, two Lewis Mountains, and Rocks Mountain, Rocky Mountain, Rocky Mount, and Rockytop!

Buzzard Rock is also not to be confused with the more often visited Buzzard Rock in the nearby Massanutten Mountains.
Posted Jan 24, 2010 7:51 am

BobSmithRe: Common Names!

BobSmith

It's all rather confusing, yes.

And one of Virginia's Fivers is also called Buzzard Rock. (I put it on my Whitetop Mountain post, since I don't think it qualifies as a true summit.)
Posted Jan 24, 2010 9:52 am

hightineraryBuzzard Jones

hightinerary

Peaks with "buzzard" in their names always appeal to me. I've climbed Buzzard Peak and Buzzards Roost in PA; Buzzard Knob in MD; and Buzzard Rock, Buzzard Rocks and Buzzard Hill in VA. Maybe I'm King of the Buzzards?
Posted Mar 3, 2014 12:50 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Buzzard Jones

Bob Sihler

You could probably spend several years trying to hit all the Buzzards across the country!
Posted Mar 4, 2014 10:44 am

BobSmithRe: Buzzard Jones

BobSmith

Especially here in the South. So many repetitions!
Posted Mar 4, 2014 11:42 am

BobSmithRe: Buzzard Jones

BobSmith

And here in the South it seems particularly bothersome. Deep Gap. Green Knob. Sharp Top. Rocky Mountain. Etc., etc.
Posted Mar 4, 2014 11:43 am

hightineraryRe: Buzzard Jones

hightinerary

Then there are the places with extremely unique names. On Sunday I climbed something in Virginia called "The Blue Ball." I just happened to see it on a map, did a double take, then vowed to climb it. Then I climbed nearby Buzzard Hill on the way home...
Posted Mar 4, 2014 12:11 pm