By ski

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.41113°N / 11.43848°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ski tour
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start in Scharnitz (railroad station, parking)

Route Description


This is a tour only to be undertaken in spring when the big avalanches are down and the gravel road into the Karwendeltal is mostly snow-free, usually not before mid-April. Also, it is a good idea to use a mountain bike for the the Karwendeltal. Basically there are 2 possibilities: a) the Schlauchkar (up and down), and b) ascent via Schlauchkar, descent via Marxenkar and Neunerkar.
a) From Scharnitz follow the gravel road into the Karwendeltal until you reach the small hydroelectric power station below the Karwendelhaus (ca. 1560m, 2hrs by bike). Leave bikes there (if road is ploughed up to this point). Now climb SE until you are in the Schlauchkar. Always follow the Schlauchkar, first SE, then S, until you reach the Schlauchkarsattel (ca. 3-4 hrs). In the Schlauchkarsattel there is the Birkkarhütte (bivouac hut). Leave skis there and climb up to the summit of the Birkkarspitze (15-30 min). Descent: like ascent. Ca. 1700 m to climb, 6-8 hrs (bicycle and skis).
b) From the Schlauchkarsattel turn W and traverse the 3 summits of the Ödkarspitzen (carry skis). From the summit of the Westliche Ödkarspitze ski down, first W then NW, into the eastern branch of the Marxenkar. Ski down Marxenkar until you can round the base of the Marxenkarspitze N-ridge. From there climb with skis the western branch of the Marxenkar to the Grosse Seekarspitze. From the Grosse Seekarspitze it is possible to ski down the Neunerkar all the way to the Karwendelbach if there is enough snow. In the lower section of the Neunerkar always keep left. Caution: You CANNOT reach the Karwendeltal from the Marxenkar!! Once in the Marxenkar you have to climb up to the Grosse Seekarspitze or back to the Schlauchkarsattel. When doing this variation, it is probably best to leave the bicycles near the Anger Alm, where the Neunerkar joins the Karwendeltal, and walk up to the power station. Ca. 2600 m to climb, 10-13 hrs (bicycle and skis)

Essential Gear


Ski touring equipment. Crampons may be useful for the scramble to the summit of Birkkarspitze and the traverse of the Ödkarspitzen if the snow is hard. Mountainbike is VERY useful in the Karwendeltal.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.