C-3 Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.72500°N / 109.292°W
Additional Information Route Type: Descent Route
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4 with one rappel if used as descent route
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Onion Creek Road also branches east from Highway 128 just west of the Fisher Towers Road and beween mile markers 20 and 21. The Onion Creek Road is one of the most facinating drives in the world and can be rough in places. The road crosses he creek many times, but in good weather, most cars can be driven to the trailhead if you drive slow. Drive up Onion Creek through the narrow canyon section with many towers. Park at the first major canyon coming in from the north. The trailhead is not marked in any way, nor is there a real trail here.

 C  Approach and Descent RoutesThese are the "C" ascent and descent approach routes to the Fisher Towers.

Route Description

This is the quickest descent route from the towers, but only experts can use it as an ascent route. What could have been the easiest and fastest approach ascent, is interupted by a 5.10 30' high chockstone. We were not able to surmount it without placing hardware, so we turned back and used it as a descent route, but a better climber could climb it.

This will be described as a descent route. C-4 is the canyon west of what is marked as Titan Tower on the 7.5 minute map (but not TheTitan described on this page and to all the local climbers). It is also To get to the head of C-3, you will follow the Fisher Towers Bench easterly from C-2 for just under a mile, or westerly from the head of C-4 for just under a mile. the bench is slow going in places. The route down C-3 requires alot of route-finding/scrambling, but it is still the quickest way down from the eastern group of towers (Hydra, Pillars of Hercules, Doric Column, Citadel, Mystery Towers, Doric Nightmare, and Atlas). I wont give all the route details away, as finding your way is part of the fun. There is one bolted rap off a 30 foot chockstone. This is the final obstacle before reaching C-4.


Essential Gear

A 100 foot (30 meters) climbing rope, harness, and a full rack will be more than enough.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.