C & O Canal Towpath

C & O Canal Towpath

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Album Introduction

This album contains pictures from various trips I have taken along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath in the past 13 years or so.

Today sightseeing, walking, running, cycling, horseback riding, and backpacking can be done on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath. There are picnic areas, campsites with facilities such as water and toilets every few miles as well as access to side trails, roads, and towns for pick-ups, drop-offs and re-supply along the 185 miles.

On a beautiful day you might have to wedge your way between all the other users but I have hiked many times in near solitude and enjoyed many nights camping along the towpath since the mid-1970s.

The best source of information about these activities is found at the National Park Service site here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Good to see

... this added. 35 years ago (!!) I biked the length of the canal--beautiful but hard going in those days. I still remember the pitch-dark, snake-infested Paw Paw Tunnel with no flashlight ...

silversummit

silversummit - Oct 17, 2010 8:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good to see

Ah, the Paw Paw Tunnel! I've spent many a time outfitting bikers starting there or cheering those ending there; only walked through it a couple times myself and found it kinda foul too! Kids like it for the adventure and fun of wearing a headlamp though.

Congrats on doing the length! It is still hard to get through in places depending upon the weather and how many trees are down. While never running it through in one trip, I would guess that our troop has easily done the whole thing at least 5x in 15 years. We've run into skunks, possums, sudden thunderstorms and crazy locals who decide to shake sticks etc. but we keep coming back.

Again, congratulations and I bet you could still easily do it!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.