Calzada Romana

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.47000°N / 4.1°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach is by car crossing Cercedilla, tuning left at the train station, passing the barrier where the infomation house is placed, always straight to the point where the road is closed by another barrier. This is the parking of Majavilán (I or II), approximately at 1.395 m, located in Parque de las Berceas just after Las Dehesas, on the left of the road.

Ascent

From the parking cross the barrier by one of both sides, follow the road and pay attention at the information placards placed to the right. Soon you'll enter Calzada Romana (Roman Road). It was built by the romans in the 1st century under the rules of Vespasian. It was used until 18th century, when the road passes of Puerto del León (1750) and Puerto de Navacerrada (1788) were open. The roman road linked Titulcia (S Madrid) with Segovia so Puerto de Navacerrada road building caused that Calzada Romana wasn't used more as a Segovia-Madrid road.

Puente del Descalzo is the next interesting construction, a roman bridge that is located just after the beginning of Calzada, over Arroyo de la Garganta. Traverse the bridge, where Calzada becomes steep and goes almost in parallel with the stream firstly. Then the Roman Road turns flat and there is a fence with a gate (25 min), you'll enter a wood of big pines and will be able to see Chalet de Peñalara (a well known Spanish mountain club) at a distance. But until reaching it there is another steep slope where the slabs of Calzada ar well placed. The Roman Road continues the road coming from Las Berceas at the point situated to the right of Chalet de Peñalara (1.526 m). Until that place there is a big wooden wall sketch and some decoration elements.

Continue along a wide section of Calzada Romana and leave to the right the trail forest that goes to Pradera and Refugio de Navarrulaque, it's also closed to traffic by a barrier. Traverse the last roman bridge, Puente de Enmedio (1.600 m) restored (as Puente del Descalzo) in 1979 and placed over Arroyo de la Fuenfría, it forms a curve to the right (50 min). Follow the Roman Road on a gentle section, after a left bend the slopes get steep and Calzada narrow. Then hike along the last and steep section of the Roman Road, sometimes it's ruined and there're rocks and branches over it so it's better to walk by the left path. Until the last ramp to the pass, there is a well preserved section of Calzada Romana, even the lateral walls and the drainage can be seen. The end of the Roman Road comes after a short and steep earthy slope, at the pass called Puerto de la Fuenfría (1.796 m - 1 h 30 min).

Puerto de la Fuenfría is a true junction, the forest trails come from: S (Calzada Romana), SE (Carretera de la República), E (PR 7), NE (GR 10-1 or Senda de Lumbralejos), NW (Calzada Romana and Carretera de la República) and W (GR 10 or Senda del Infante). A water source is placed on Senda de Lumbralejos at 200 m from the pass, it was built in June 1976. But the path that we have to follow now is the one to the E, called PR 7. It climbs surrounding Cerro Ventoso (1.965 m) by its S side, so follow the path to the point just S of the summit (approx. 700 m) and next climb straight to the top. This is a flat little mountain that is not part of Siete Picos but it's higher than the 1st Peak (1.933 m - 2 h 05 min).

Once on Cerro Ventoso, go to the E foresummit and descend SE to Collado Ventoso (1.892 m). Then there are 2 options:

1. Follow PR 7 (or Senda de los Alevines) to the SW surrounding Umbría de la Navezuela, the little valley formed by Arroyo de la Navezuela, in order to climb the 1st Peak or Pico de Majalasna. 2 h 30 min.
2. Walk the steep slope to the SE along a well marked trail in the pinewood in order to climb to the 2nd Peak (2.089 m). 3 h.

See "The Route" in the MAIN PAGE if you want to complete the climb of Siete Picos either you choose options 1 or 2.

Descent

The descent can be done by the same route from 7th Peak to 2nd and Collado Ventoso (1 h). Then down to the SW by Camino Schmidt, in parallel with Arroyo de Navezuela, to Fuente (drinking fountain) de Antonio Ruiz de Velasco. Continue by some rocky steps and a steep slope of loose rock to Carretera de la República (1 h 15 min), a well paved forest trail. Traverse this road and descend zig fast zig zaging in the pinewood to a new forest trail (1 h 35 min). Follow it to the right descendig gentle, pass a barrier, continue some meter in the trail and reach Calzada Romana again. Descend along the Roman Road as in the ascent to the parking of Majavilán (I or II). 2 h.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe could be necessary in the worst conditions of winter. Also take a map, compass and altimeter in order to find the trail if you get lost in the fog (probably in autumn and winter). Some of the peaks (as 4th Peak) are difficult to climb without climbing shoes and rock climbing gear.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Mar 28, 2006 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

More on Calzada Romana:

http://desnivel.com/deportes/excursionismo/object.php?o=1231

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.