Cap de Long-ridge SE

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78357°N / 0.10007°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: P.D.inf.
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the normal route to climb Badet. The first part walking the path of Cap de Long and it's the same to peak Campbieil (very frequented), the peak Maubic and of course the ridge SE of Pic Long (following from the summit of Badet).
You must take many attention to evitate to climb Campbieil (map is usefull).

Time to summit: 2h and a half
Slope to gain: 1000m.

Getting There

See the main page to approach to Cap de Long, trailhead of the route.

Route Description

You begin in the great parking of Cap de Long in the path in left side of the lake. The path makes some zig-zags and zones of “up and down” to finally reach the end of the lake. The cairns turn to left in a little valley with the view of Campbieil (left) and the ridge Badet-Pic Long-Ag.Tourrat (front).

You have two options after the crossing of the river:
a)-it's possible to walk to right in bad terrain with a lot of stones in direction to peak Maubic and before the entry in the glacier of Pays Baché leave the route to left side to Badet.
b)-easier: in the good path of Campbieil, popular peak always with some person in the route. The path goes to direction to the col between Campbieil and Maou but we'll leave the route in the area what we'll see the ramp west of Badet. For the ramp after a hard slope in terrain of stones we'll reach the col (or shoulder) between the peaks Maou and Badet.
It's a good moment to leave the haversack in the ground and to climb the nice Pic Maou. Following the edge of the ridge you reach the summit with some rock-climbs of I and one of I+ in the summit.

You follow from the col in direction to the ridge of Badet. Near of the edge we'll get a narrow area to walk to the first rock-climbs of I and I+. In some places the terrain have small stones and you must take attention for not fall. The section of II have a very good rock to climb reaching the shoulder to walk over the rocks to the summit.

Essential Gear

In the area of ascent to Badet remain snow in may-june (crampons and ice-axe advisables) but in july and august don’t exist.
The ridge SE without snow is easy for experienced mountaineers and only it need the use of the rope if present some of snow. For the begginers is usefull the rope (some exposed stepcrossings in the ridge).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BadetRoutes