Capitol Butte, AZ

Capitol Butte, AZ

Much of Sedona's visual appeal is attributed to the geology of the region. Comprised of seven layers of sedimentry rock, the landscape offers some of the most spectacular rock formations in the world. The beauty of the area's buttes, pinnacles and monoliths is not justified in mere pictures. At nearly 4,700 feet in the upper reaches of west Sedona, the dominant plants are Pinyon pines, Utah juniper and Gambel Oak; then you still have the desert plants of Banana Yucca, Narrowleaf Yucca, Cliff Rose, Utah Agave, Prickly Pear and Hedgehog cactus. Fuana of the area are Pinyon Mouse, Rock Squirrel, Cliff Chipmunk, Gray Fox, Mule Deer, Pinyon Jay, Canyon Wren and Sagebrush lizard. Important fact about Sagebrush lizards: Many lizards have a third "eye" located on top of their heads. Although it lacks the structure of an eye and is stationary, it may help lizards "see" things we can't. The third eye may help these lizards regulate exposure to UV light, measure day length (telling them when they should be active), or perhaps help them avoid predation by detecting shadows that pass overhead. (The lizards I try to take pictures of always have a third eye!!!)
lcarreau
on Jan 21, 2008 9:25 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Flora,  Scenery
Image ID: 374592

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Azra

Azra - Jan 22, 2008 5:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Color!

I like colors! Crazy beautiful!
:-)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 22, 2008 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Color!

Yes, I will try to focus on color!
Are you familiar with Tibetan prayer
flags? There is a Tibetan stupa about
240-meters from where this photograph
was taken. (And the color comes from
iron oxide that "bleeds" out of the
sandstones.)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2