Castrin Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.49550°N / 11.07765°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mixed
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In the heart of the wild Maddalene to the Malga di Cloz


The Maddalene
,is a beautiful range of mountains and rugged peaks which, to the North, end at the Valle di Non on the borders with the South Tyrol. The route allows you to view and appreciate the environmental features of this rock mass with its typically unspoilt Alpine appearance in the wide open spaces. There are only a couple of mountain huts and some malga mountain dairies to provide support in the entire group of mountains which, perhaps for this reason, is not often visited.


Mount Cornicolo
Mount Cornicolo

Castrin Pass
Castrin Pass


Getting There

BY CAR
Motorway A/22 Modena - Brennero
Exit San Michele all'Adige - Mezzocorona
(15 Km north of Trento) continue on state road 43 and 43dir in direction Valle di Non, Fondo, Castelfondo

BY TRAIN
Bologna – Brennero railway line Stations of Trento or Mezzocorona Reach the regional Trento-Malé railway station and continue by local train to Dermulo. The valley resorts are served by local bus connections.

Castrin Pass
The Maddalene range near Castrin Pass 1808m.


Maddalene range
The Maddalene range




Route Description

The journey starts from Castelfondo 948m. joining an unsurfaced road along the Rio Rabiola valley: You reach the La Regola 1250m. refreshment point and at the nearby fork you continue uphill as far as Cros del Barba1405m. before entering the Rio Novella valley. Further on, you face other uphill stretches through the woods until you come out into the open crossing the large Alpine meadows before the final uphill section.
You cross the Sous Alp reaching the Passo Castrin1808m. ridge and then continue towards the farm of the same name cutting across the Val d'Ultimo: from the pass you need to follow the sign for Proves, first along a muletrack, then down a steep lane which threads its way through the wood until you reach a forest road which climbs up to Malga di Cloz (refreshment point).The return starts on the same forest road aiming for the farms at Proves which you avoid following a trail marked Avs (no. 28) which takes you down along the slopes of Monte Ori towards other groups of houses on the edge of Lauregno: the last part of the journey to reach Forcella di Brez1398m. before descending to the main road going through Salobbi as far as Castelfondo.




Maps and Books

Kompass : " La strada del Vino" 685 1: 25000
Kompass : Guida Escursionistica 984 " Val di Non"


Castrin Pass
Castrin Pass

Castrin Pass
Castrin Pass

Castrin Pass
Castrin Pass


External Links

VAL DI NON

MADDALENE



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.