Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.05310°N / 106.3522°W
Additional Information County: Bernalillo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7767 ft / 2367 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cedro Peak is a small but prominent peak in the Manzanita Mountains. The Mazanita Mountains are a subrange of the Manzano Mountains and act as a bridge between the Sandia and Manzano Mountains. This area sits at a lower elevation and is blanketed with pine trees. The peak is topped by numerous communication towers making it easy to pick out from a distance. During warmer months it is a popular destination for hiking, mountain biking, and birding.
Cedro PeakCedro Peak as viewed from Point 7420

New Mexico Rank: 1304
Prominence: 397'
Quadrangle: Sedillo

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From Albuquerque, head east on I-40 and take the exit 175 (Tijeras). Stay right on the off-ramp splits but go straight through the light onto Highway 337. From the stop light at NM 337 and old US 66 (NM 333), head south for 5 miles. Turn left onto Juan Thomas road, there will be signs indicating this is the way to Cedro Group Campground. About a half mile down the road turn left onto a gravel road. Again there will be signs for Cedro Peak and Campground. About 1.5 miles down there will be a pull in as well as a second one just past the first. This is also the campground entrance so during certain times of the year it may be very busy.

Route Overviews

Cedro Peak TopoCedro Peak routes

The Cedro Peak area has a maze of trails; some go to the top, others do not. There is also a road that winds its way to the summit. None of the routes are long or challenging and do not require more than a few hundred feet elevation gain.

South Face: This route begins by heading up the road towards Cedro Peak. Once you reach a fence across the road it leaves the road and switchbacks up to the top. Overall this is an easy hike and the most direct route for hiking this peak.










Views from the summit:
Sandia from CedroLooking N
Manzano MountainsLooking S

Red Tape

There are no day use fees at this area. Pets should be kept on a leash and cleaned up after. See the camping section for information about camping fees. The summit has many buildings and communication towers that should be left alone.

Camping

Camping can be found at the base of Cedro Peak at the Cedro Peak Campground. Check the following Forest Service website for prices and more information on this campground.

External Links

Local weather: Albuquerque
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR
Cibola National Forest - Sandia Ranger District

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Manzano MountainsMountains & Rocks