Central Eastern Ridge

Central Eastern Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.29838°N / 24.11739°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Route Overview KastroRoute overview: the central-eastern route is the one in the centre

Let me say from the start that we used this route for descending. From above route finding was serious enough but thanks to the overview it was possible. I'm not quite sure how difficult orientation is from the bottom on up.

This route uses the east ridge of the central Kastro summit only for the last fifth or so. Before it climbs a steep valley, the one between Kastro and neighbouring Skoutsio Korifi (1893m). It starts on te far (western) side of the Oropedio Niatos plain, close to where the road starts to climb out of the plain. The entry point is marked by a cairn which, however, is only barely visible.

The valley ascends the Kastro eastern slope in several steps, in between of which hiking is fairly easy though overgrown in the lower parts. The steps, however, require some climbing experience (UIAA I or II depending on where you go). There are two steps, both of which pose the same kind of problems. Once above the second of these steps you are in the saddle between the two mountains, from where you only have to follow the ridges. First northward, then westward along the eastern ridge of the main Kastro summit.

Getting There

The route starts near the Tavri Hut. You find a description on the Kastro main page.

Route Description

Oropedio Niatos and the Tavri HutOropedio Niatos and the Tavri Hut

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1100m
      - Summit altitude: 2218m
      - Prevailing exposure: E
      - Type: 4h one way
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 1100m elevation gain
  • Power: 2 - Long, steep and tiring
  • Psyche: 2 - Uncomfortable during the climb of the steps
  • Orientation: 3 - No marks. Don't go in fog!

    From the small chapel near the Tavri hut follow the dirt road further upwards. After some 15min you'll reach a little col with a beautiful view across the Oropedia Niatos plain towards Kastro. The road circles the plain on its western side. Right before the road climbs out of the plain, there is something like a small "square". Here the route turns off left (westward). If you look closely you might find a cairn here. It climbs through trees and bushes to a first steep section, which, however, is easy to ascend. You'll notice that you are in a valley which is enclosed by the central-eastern ridge to the north and the eastern ridge of Skoutsio Korifi to the south.

    The climb gets shallow and follows the bed of a dried out creek (might carry water in early spring). The rock is very loose and here and there you might persuade yourself that you see a cairn or two. The valley appears to end in a wall of grey rock, a veritable labyrinth. There are easy ways through this labyrinth but all will require some climbing experience.

    Above the step - the same story: shallow valley, where you follow a creek bed and which ends in a steep step. The same type of climbing up here, though maybe a bit easier to find and to climb. Now you'll find yourself in a wide high valley. To your left the summit of Skoutsio Korifi, to your right a ridge which climbs towards Kastro's central east ridge. Follow this ridge (loose and steep in places), then follow the central east ridge and you are on the summit of Kastro.
    Oropedio Niatos
    Descending through the labyrinth of the first step
    Descending through the labyrinth of the first step
    Skoutsio Korifi
    Skoutsio Korifi

    Essential Gear

    Thick soled trekking boots, ample amount of water.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    KastroRoutes