Cerro San Antonio Este

Cerro San Antonio Este

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 10.35717°S / 76.90044°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 16663 ft / 5079 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro San Antonio Este is a marvelous viewpoint on the southern side of Siula Grande, Nevado Yerupaja and many other giants of Cordillera Huayhuash

Getting There

This mountain can be accessed easily during the 10 to 14 days trekking around Cordillera Huayhuash. A perfect map for this trekking trip is the excellent map 0/3c Alpenvereinskarte Cordillera Huayhuash of the Austrian Alpine Club (scale 1:50,000).

Route

Cerro San Antonio Este is about 200 meters air distance west of the 5020 meters high col San Antonio (GPS coordinates: S10 21.389 W76 53.926), which is traversed on the Huayhuash trekking. There is a good path from the San Antonio camp to the col of about 2.5 hours walking. 

The camp San Antonio with the western wall of Nevado Cuyoc (5550 meters sea-level)
The camp San Antonio with the western wall of Nevado Cuyoc (5550 meters sea-level)

On the way to the col San Antonio with Cero San Antonio Este in the center
On the way to the col San Antonio with Cero San Antonio Este in the center


Nevado Rasac and Nevado Yerupaja Grande seen from the col
Nevado Rasac and Nevado Yerupaja Grande seen from the col


In the direct line between the col to the summit is a small rocky band where we had to scramble a little bit (Grade II to III). On the top we detected a good and well marked path on the northern side and along the rocky band back to the col. The views from the top are stunning.

Enjoying the spectacular views from the summit
Enjoying the spectacular views from the summit


View to the South with Nevado Cuyoc
View to the South with Nevado Cuyoc


6127 meters high Nevado Sarapo
6127 meters high Nevado Sarapo


The way along Rio Calinca to Huayllapa was endless, the same way Joe Simpson and Simon Yates had chosen 1985. Their dramatic story became famous in the book and movie "Touching the Void". Huayllapa is the only village on the Huayhuash circle and the only place where food is available.

The steep way down on the northern side of the col San Antonio
The steep way down on the northern side of the col San Antonio

The camp on a soccer field in Huayllapa
The camp on a soccer field in Huayllapa

Red Tape

The fees on the Huayhuash trekking are expensive now. We paid more than 200 Soles (approximately 70U$) per person for camping and community access in the year 2013!

When to Climb

Best season is May to September. We met just 4 other tourists end of September!

Camping

If you do the trekking clockwise San Antonio camp is the starting point in the morning (GPS coordinates: S10 22.545 W76 53.592) and the camp in the village Huayllapa is the final point for this day (GPS coordinates: S10 21.535 W77 00.020).  The northern path from the col down to Rio Calinca is relatively steep!. Mules must go the valley from the San Antonio camp directly to Huayllapa.

External Links

For more information about the Huayhuash trek see the specific Huayhuash section of SummitPost or the trip report of Cordillera Huayhuash on our webpage including some waypoints and other pictures. Other mountains and trips in South America are described on our webpage www.marionandalfred.de.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cordillera HuayhuashMountains & Rocks