Viewing: 1-6 of 6
mrh

mrh - Oct 7, 2009 1:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Drive-thru wilderness

The Gospel Hump in Idaho also had a road going into it, though it doesn't go all they way through. It enters from the northwest and loops down almost to the center of the wilderness. There is also a road coming into the east portion of the wilderness, but the non-wilderness around it is actually a broad lobe due to the several private mining claims along it being excluded from designation.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Oct 7, 2009 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Drive-thru wilderness

Interesting. Did Congress draw the line up to the road (as in the Deam) or just put an exception in the authorizing legislation?

mrh

mrh - Oct 7, 2009 3:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Drive-thru wilderness

I believe the former is the case, but am not entirely certain.

nartreb

nartreb - Oct 7, 2009 2:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Another: Denali

A big chunk of the National Park is a designated Wilderness. A (limited-use, dirt) road runs through it from east to west, bisecting the Wilderness: the road terminates at Wonder Lake which is in the middle of the Park but outside the west edge of the Wilderness. Along the road are carve-outs from the Wilderness where there are developed visitors' centers.
map

edit: Here's another map where you can see that the wilderness boundaries were drawn to exclude the road.
Interestingly, two of the largest carve-outs are at desolate river crossings, presumably to leave room to build a new bridge when needed.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Oct 7, 2009 6:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another: Denali

Yeah, the Wonder Lake Road really pisses me off because we knew better at the time. The Ken Burns film tells the story of Adolph Murie fighting the road -- Burns classified it as a "success" because it's limited use and unpaved, but I'd call it a "failure" because it's a road.

nartreb

nartreb - Oct 7, 2009 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another: Denali

Being unpaved just means that for a few days each spring, the road is continuously used by dump-trucks bringing gravel to repair the road. We joked that the dump-trucks were actually bringing the incredible swarms of mosquitoes that hatched a couple of days later. But I'm glad the road was there - we cached half our food at the park entrance and hitched a ride back when our roundabout route reached Eilson. It would have been very difficult to carry all of our food for three weeks.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Charles C. Deam Wilderness' main page