Chimney Rocks Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.84300°N / 77.3083°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route is the main trail to Chimney Rocks and never exceeds Class 2 hiking. The route is 2.15 miles round-trip and you'll gain approximately 500 feet in elevation. The trail starts off by heading through some beautiful pine stands downhill to a creek. To cross the creek there is a fun little foot bridge that swings. When it rains or there is snow, be careful not to loose your footing across the slippery planks.

From here the trail soon after heads steeply up-hill. This is the fun part of the trail as you'll get to use your hands a bit. You can scan the crags on this hillside for fossils too, if you're interested. From here the trail continues up the ridge and very quickly starts to ridge the edge of the cliffs. Take some extra caution on those wet days. The trail there after reaches Chimney Rocks and you'll get some great views to Paody Mountain and of Penns Creek. For some extra excitement, take the leap of faith onto Chimney Rock. It is a rocky finger that seems to float nearly 400 feet above the creek. The gap you'd have to jump is about six feet, but it is a rush. Have fun and enjoy the day!

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, food/water, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.