Chocolate Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
patricklynch88

patricklynch88 - Nov 29, 2019 10:23 pm Date Climbed: May 8, 2021

Jones Creek Trail  Sucess!

Chocolate Peak via Jones Creek Trail, Church's Pond Trail, and the Northeast ridge. Started at the Jones-Whites Creek Trailhead parking lot that was furthest west. We were on the trail at 10:45 and made it to the top by 12:30 (1 hour 45 minutes). Spent 10 at the summit enjoying the view and a few snacks. Party of 2, 3,160 ft elevation gain, 8.0 miles roundtrip and took 1 hour 15 minutes to descend. Weather was sunny and warm with maybe a mild 5 mph wind at the top.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 1, 2014 12:05 pm Date Climbed: May 14, 2014

From Church Peak  Sucess!

Started up the Mt. Rose Trail, over to Church, then to Chocolate, then down to the highway at Galena Creek. Trip Report.

Larry Laverty

Larry Laverty - Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm Date Climbed: Mar 18, 2013

Summit via North Face  Sucess!

Forced to deploy the 'ol snowshoes a quarter mile east of Church's Pond on the approach. Took the shoes off for the scramble up the rock field that is Chocolate Peak. Gusting winds so appreciated the little rock wall on the top.

A Bit

A Bit - Jun 6, 2012 11:33 am Date Climbed: Jun 3, 2012

From Church's Pond  Sucess!

Up and over Chocolate Peak on the way up Mount Rose. Windy at the top but nice views.

Wobby

Wobby - Jun 3, 2012 2:18 am Date Climbed: Jun 2, 2012

Fun and new  Sucess!

Took a new and unknown route, the "East Arete". Fun scrambling almost made the bushwack worthwhile! Great summit views.

JonathanHeywood - Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm Date Climbed: Oct 14, 2011

A Few Scratches  Sucess!

Took the Jones Creek trail and then bushwacked to the top.

Katy Y

Katy Y - Apr 13, 2008 7:01 pm Date Climbed: Apr 13, 2008

STILL a lot of snow  Sucess!

Directions from Church's Pond A-OK. Snow created some interesting challenges. Got a bit turned around on the descent, and if I'd gone the way that I intuited, I would have wound up in that meadow behind the pond. So no big.

[Another attempt 5/23/09; serious bushwhacking through mountain mahogany, which isn't very forgiving. Total PIA, almost not worth it, much better in the snow.]

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Mar 9, 2008 8:33 pm Date Climbed: Mar 9, 2008

North Ridge  Sucess!

A lot of snow.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 27, 2007 9:36 pm Date Climbed: Oct 27, 2007

Reached the summit, but then got lost  Sucess!

I reached the summit in just over 2 hours with an approach from the Jones Creek trail. A ranger told me I could take a trail back down to Blacks Canyon once at the summit. Boy, was she WRONG! I got lost in the woods for over two hours, getting cuts from bushwhacking and ending up in very dangerous circumstances in the steep slopes. The way up to the summit was great, but the rest of the day was AWFUL!!!

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Chocolate Peak' main page