Cholla Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.51410°N / 111.961°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up with some exposed (not much) scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

Difficulty: Mostly Class 1 with some decent class 2 with moderate exposure
Distance: Round Trip - About 3.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 1300 Feet

Although still strenuous, this trail is a little less steep than the Echo Canyon Summit Trail is.

The trail starts out along the edges of the Phoenician Golf Resort and climbs steadily until you reach a nice overlook of the Golf Course. There is plenty of space here to stop and relax for a bit before you head onward.
There is a great view of the Superstition Mountain Range here as well as the golf course.

From here you will follow the trail onwards through a series of small switchbacks eventually ending up on the nicely shaded portion of the mountain. Follow this until you reach the saddle. At this point you will be about 4/5 of the way finished with your climb to the summit.

Following the ridgeline, you will be scrambling up some pretty solid rock, with some steep dropoffs. Not to bad, but for some it might be a little too much. Continue up the ridgeline for about 0.4 more miles and you will reach the flat summit of Camelback. From here return to your car from the way you came or you can complete the loop by hiking down the Echo Canyon Summit trail and hiking back to your car from that trailhead.

Along the Cholla TrailJust one of the obstacles on the way to the summit

Getting There

From Interstate 17: Tak the Glendale exit and follow Glendale East. Glendale will turn into Lincoln Drive. You will want to follow Lincoln Dr until you reach Invergorden Road. From here, you will turn right onto Invergorden. Parking will be located on the right hand side after Cholla lane. Parking will be hard to miss because of all the cars that will be parked there.

From SR 51: Take the Highland Ave/Camelback Rd exit if coming from the South, or the Colter St/Camelback Rd exit if coming from the North. Follow Camleback Rd to the East until you reach Invergorden Rd. Take a left on Invergorden and drive until you see the mass of cars parked along your left hand side, or watch for Cholla Lane. You will have to turn around once you reach this point to find parking.

Finding the trailhead: Once you have parked your vehicle, walk West down Cholla Lane along a small gravel walkway until you reach the trailhead.

Red Tape

There are no parking fees here unless you park illegally.

Rules and Restrictions include:
No Pets
The Park opens at sunrise and closes at sunset

When to climb

October through April is generally the best time to climb as temperatures are milder than they are in the summer.
Summer temperatures can reach into the high 110's. Monsoon storms are also a concern when climbing during the Summer.

What will I need?

Be sure to have a good pair of hiking or climbing shoes.
1-2 liters of water
Sunscreen
Camera

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.