Cima della Laurasca

Cima della Laurasca

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.05417°N / 8.41003°E
Additional Information County: Italy
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 7201 ft / 2195 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cima della Laurasca (Lauras peack) is located in the Val Grande National Park. This park is considered the greatest inhabited area of Italy.
With a unique ecosystem of forests, mountians and grasses is considered a paradise for who is looking for "wilderness". All the peaks there are above 2200 meters (actually Cima della Laurasca is the highest peak of the park)and mainly covered by woods, bushes and grass. There are severe and spectacular rocky formations that all toghether gives a unique "flavour" to this area.
However these mountains are not of alpinistic interest but attractive for the excursionism.
They offers to the visitors the pleasure to walk in untouched nature and wilderness at less then 100 km from Milano, as well to visit a unique place. In the center of the park there is the "Nature integral reserve Cima Pedum", a part of the park which has never got human settlement.

In Val Grande there is a unique village, Cicogna. There the road ends and you can begin to walk, on old coble stoned roads built at the time of the mining in the modern age. Or on many paths.
From Val grande originated the stones used for the Cathedral of Milano.

Getting There

From Milano (I) A8 higway direction Varese-Como-Gravellona Toce. After Busto Arsizio, follow the A26 "Gravellona Toce-Genova". In Gallarate you will find the crossroad of the A8/A8dir-A26: go streight to "Gravellona Toce-Genova-Sempione" direction.
After the Ticino River, follow A26 for Gravellona Toce-Sempione (otherwise you will arrive to Genova. Ahead direction Sempione till Domodossola.
From Domodossola folow the SS 337 direction "Val Vigezzo-Santa Maria Maggiore-Locarno".

From Bellinzona (CH) via Locarno: From Bellinzona follow to Locarno. There is a highway to Locarno. After a long tunnel under Locarno city you will find indication for "Cento Valli - Onsernone - Maggia". Turn left then and follow indication for Cento Valli.
Then 25 km of a narrow but spectacular mountain route till Malesco (Italy).

In Malesco, look for the main church in the village centre. About 50 meters after turn right. Indication for "VAL LOANA" and "Scaredi": about 10km to "Fondo Li Gabbi" 1200m.
Parking place there at the end of the road

Way up to the summit

LAURASCA is the highest peak at the top of the valley. Walk in a long alpine prairie for about 2 km:two option: i) on the right side of the river (a road begin form the parking) or ii) cross the river on a bridge and then passed few buildings look for a path on the left side of the valley.
Anyway the two way join together: an old way with coble stones (old manufact of the 18-19th century). Indication for "Scaredi" and a white/red marks.

Reach the houses of Alpe Corte Vecchio and then Alpe Scaredi (note: a comfortable bivouac. Fountains for clean water).
The mole of Laurasca surmounts: you can easily recognise the way up in front of you.
Keep following the indication for Bocchetta di Campo. The path goes toward Laurasca zig-zaging then a crossroads: path on the right side, indication for Bocchetta di Campo.
Just 50 meters after some chained passages to cross an exposed section.
For Laurasca go ahead to the summit, with a further long zig-zag to the top cross.
The last 200 meters are quite steped and the way is unmarked but clear.

From the top a large view over the Pianura Padana, Lakes, Milano. From south east to North west you migth recognise Monte Viso and the Pennin Alps: Monte Rosa, Strahlhorn-Rimpflishhorn-Allalinhonr-Alphubel, Mischabel, Andolla, Weissmiess-Lagginhorn-Fletschorn, the Monte Leone and then in the north the Fiensteraarhorn, Aletschhorn and Lauteraarhorn.

Red Tape

Val Grande can offer you nice walking and hiking during all the year.

In the winter time, from november to april be carefull for the snow. Severe avalanches danger!
Since the way up is mainly on a north side, ther emight be snow till june.
Sometimes crampons or at least an axe might be usefull.

A note: there are on this page two pics of Laurasca taken from Scaredi. Both have been collected in late october, with and without snow.

If you intend to explore the Val grande a standard hiking equipment might be appropriate. Kompass and map.

CNS 1:5000 blat 285 Domnodossola
Kompass Map "Lago Maggiore" AND "Domodossola".


Camping

Inside the park camping is forbidden.

There are some nice places like

1) Bocchetta di Campo, a house with about 10 beds
2) Alpe Scaredi: a small house with tables, firehood and on the upper floor room for about 20 people. Mattress required
3) Alpe la Piana offers small recovery for about 10-20 people
4) Casa dell'Alpino a hut with about 30 places for the night and in the good season personel

In Malesco, Santa Maria Maggiore you can find camping areas

External Links

official website of Val Grande Park: http://www.parcovalgrande.it/Eindex.html

a site about valgrande, in italian: http://www.in-valgrande.it/

Addictiona Information

The region around the Lake Verbano or Lago Maggiore is reach of hystory and art monuments.
Close to Milano, in Angera, on the Lombardia side you can visit Angera, as well in Leggiuno the Abby of Santa Caterina (8t-10th century).
Testimonal of the stone age you can find in Valgrande as well everywehere in the mountains.
Visit also the Isole Borromee gulph, Verbania, Stersa and Pallanza.
Not so far there is also the Holy Mountnais of Orta San Giulio.

Around Val Grande there are several buildings of the italian military defens line called Linea Cadorna built in 1916 in case of an eventual but rether impossible invasion by Cetral Empires via Switzerland

In Val Grande there are many peacks you can visit: Cima di Campo, Pizzo Pedum, Cima Marsicce, Corona di Ghina, Pizzo Proman.
The east side of the Val Grande Park is closed by Monte Zeda(2156 meters). From Cannero you arrive to Passo Folungo then following a spectacular military road you reach the top with a wonderfull panorama