Circumnavigation

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.90000°N / 122.1°W
Additional Information Route Type: Nordic ski/Snowshoe
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: A long nordic route.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start at the Rim Village.
(Note: the elevation 8151 feet is for Hillman Peak).

Route Description

The circumnavigation of the rim of Crater Lake is one of the classic cross-country ski routes in the US. The circuit follows the snow-covered Rim Drive, which generally stays within sight of the edge of the rim, except for a few sections on the south and east sides where it must detour far from the lake. The route is generally done in about 2-3 days, although cross-country racers have done it in less than 8 hours. Many parts of the road are difficult to follow when snow-covered, so this is definitely a backcountry tour. For the ski mountaineer, there are many steeper slopes dropping from the various high points along the rim which would provide enough good turns to make the loop worthwhile (as if the scenery alone isn't enough!). It is 31 miles long.

Essential Gear

Take nordic skiis or snowshoes, food, water, and survival gear. Bring extra clothes in case they get wet.

Weather Conditions

Temperatures from January to March average 19°F at night and 36°F during the day. Temperatures from July to September average 40°F at night and 70°F during the day.

Precipitation:

   o Average annual precipitation: 69 inches
   o Average annual snowfall: 533 inches
   o Minimum annual snowfall: 243 inches (1991-92)
   o Maximum annual snowfall: 879 inches (1932-33)
   o Maximum recorded snowpack: 252 inches (1983)




600x400
Click the Satellite picture for a video loop of current weather

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.