Clearwater Lookout

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 46.20302°N / 117.5751°W
Additional Information Object Type: Fire Lookout
Additional Information County: Garfield

Overview

Clearwater LookoutClearweter Lookout Area
Elevation: 5660 feet
Access: Roadside, climbing the tower is not permitted

The Clearwater Fire Lookout is an 82 foot tall tower, built in 1938 by the CCC, with a few small cabins at the base. The cabins at the base of the tower can be rented out for just $50 per night. Of course the fees are used to maintain the cabins. From this location the Umatilla National Forest and all of its great activities are easily accessible.

The tower cannot be climbed (at least not when I was there) which makes this a destination really only suited for those spending the night in the cabins or whom are fire lookout enthusiasts. It is however very easy to reach. No hike involved. Certainly the main reason to be in the area would be the outdoor recreation to be had in the area. The Pomeroy Grouse Flat rd otherwise known as FSR-40 travels south from the tower along an over 5000 foot in elevation ridge line all the way into Asotin County.

Directions

Driving to the Lookout is possible from June 1st to November 1st depending on weather conditions. It is approximately 22 miles south of Pomeroy, WA. From town take 15th st south to the national forest boundary. Continues on FSR-50 for about 7 more miles to the Clearwater Junction. It is well signed along the way and you can't miss the tall tower to the right side of the road.

External Links

www.recreation.gov
www.firelookout.com
www.fs.fed.us

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Washington LookoutsCustom Objects