Climbing area Todtnau (Schwarzwald / Black Forrest)

Climbing area Todtnau (Schwarzwald / Black Forrest)

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 47.82750°N / 7.94672°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 2067 ft / 630 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The climbing area Todtnau is one of the most beautiful in the Black Forrest. The area consists of a climbing area of 120 routes and an airy via ferrata.
The rocks have a height of 15 to 35 meters.
The via ferrata has 300 m of wire rope and a crack resistance of 6500 KN.

All rocks are exposed to the sun so there are good conditions the most time.

Getting There

By car:
Via Autobahn A5 Karlsruhe-Basel. Take the gateway Freiburg-Mitte to direction Freiburg.

In Freiburg drive the B210 to direction Schauinsland or from Freiburg with direction Donaueschingen. Then near Kirchzarten to Schönau and Todtnau.

By public transport:
By train to Freiburg and from Freiburg by bus (bad connection to Todtnau with less buses) to Todtnau.

In Todtnau drive left to direction Feldberg.
Then on the left side there is the Hotel Waldeck and the baths of Todtnau.
There are parking place on the left side of the road.

DON´T PARK AT THE PARKING PLACES OF THE HOTEL!

Pass the hotel at the right side, walk about 50 meters till a big distinctive tree. There you have to go left at the footpath. Then hike 10 minutes always orientating at the left side of the rocks.

Red Tape

At one of the rocks (Klingelefelsen) breed protected birds. So climbing at this rock is prohibited from January till June.

It is also forbidden to use the parking places of the hotel there.

Via ferrata

Via ferrata Todtnau
The via ferrata has 300 m of wire rope. It begins in the upper part of the climbing rocks at a sloped rock. First there is an exposed part around a corner. Then you continue easy upstairs.Then there are two possibilities to continue:
Left side: Easy to the top with less problems.
Right side: Very exposed traversing the rocks with less steps and grips - just hanging at the wire rope 120 m above the bath! Exciting!
After this passage you reach the top.

From the top you have several possibilities to continue. Easy descents or another thrilling passage:
A ropeway across a gap!
After the ropeway the via ferrata ends.

Time for ascent: 45 minutes
Time for descent: 10 minutes

Difficulty: C


Via ferrata Todtnau

Camping

There is a camping place a few kilometres from the climbing area:

Ferien-Camping Hochschwarzwald
Oberhäuserstr. 6
D-79674 Todtnau-Muggenbrunn
Telefon: 0049-7671 1288
Telefax: 0049-7671 99 99 943
E-mail: camping.hochschwarzwald@web.de

I saw no tents in the climbing area itself so I don´t know if it is allowed.

5 minutes away from the rocks there is the hotel Waldeck:
Hotel Waldeck in Todtnau / Schwarzwald
Tel.: +49 ( 0 ) 7671/ 99 99 30
Fax: +49 ( 0 ) 7671 / 99 99 339
E-Mail: waldeck-todtnau@t-online.de

Winter alternatives

Todtnau has 19 ski lifts in all difficulties: from easy ones to a Worldcup slope.
In Todtnau also is the longest toboggan run for families in Germany.
You can make cross-country skiing at 60 km cross-country ski runs.
In winter there are 70 km of winter hikes and a skating rink of natural ice.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.