Close-up from space Groulx hills

Close-up from space Groulx hills

A stark view from space of the Groulx hills which despite being in relative proximity to civilisation seem unexplored mostly once considering the lack of pictures from ground of the "glacial" valleys (towards the bottom of the page) which despite the distance appear astounding....Click on the image for a close-up For a ground image post the link... Obviously the given location for teh picture may be inaccurate http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=mountains+Quebec&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmountains%2BQuebec%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&imgurl=437da5f473911a7a Mind you, with Google maps, once you enact the picture feature you will end up on many representative images which despite occasionally presenting what may look as impressive mountains do an injustice to the satellite imagery which thus must be deemed as misleading....
suddendescent
on Oct 30, 2008 4:39 pm
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 458861

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 10, 2010 4:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Sorry, man ...

I'm one of those (Americans) who thought the
Canadian Shield had very few mountains on it.

My brain had been (entirely) focused on the
Rockies in British Columbia ... until now !!!

I'm not trying to offend you, but ...

THIS photo looks a bit old. Do you have any
more photos from this remote chain of glacially-carved mountains and valleys ???

suddendescent

suddendescent - Jun 11, 2010 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry, man ...

Listen to this; I looked far and wide for representative photography without success. The only image I found showing what looks like what are presumed as higher mountains is from a 1953 LIFE magazine article dwelling on ..Quebec (a copy of which I posted here in my profile ) . Apart from that...Nothing ..except mounds... Either the place is unexplored ..or something happened that they don't want to discuss.. unless such satellite imagery is but an illusion which to be honest is hard to explain considering the fact that I looked at teh region under more than one perspective (in terms fo satellite imagery) and again arrived to the same conclusion... By the way; out of curiosity zoom up on one of the characters in the image ...

You did recognize what looks like 2 stark post glacial valleys in the satellite imagery which considering the height at which the picture was taken should be astounding. I definitely acknowledge that considering the means we have to rapidly and effortlessly explore anywhere such mountains should have been amply photographed...

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 11, 2010 9:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Sorry, man ...

Why were the Groulx photographed from outer space? What do you BELIEVE lies there?

You need to have Ray Mondo "weigh in" with
his thoughts on this.

I'm not "experienced" enough in reading
images taken from space. Best of luck to you!!!

But ... don't get me wrong! I find this to
be a very interestingly intriguing topic.

Geez, I don't even know French, unless of
course you're speaking of "Mister French"
from the 1960's sitcom "Family Affair."

And .. until you mentioned the "Canadian Shield," I always thought that was something King Arthur was holding when he jerked out the "Sword in the Stone," which began his legendary days of medieval chivalry back in the days of yore.

So, you can see how "well-versed" I am in
some of the "scientific terms" involved with
rummaging through a glacially-carved landscape, searching for THAT proverbial
"needle in the haystack."

Best wishes, and may the force be with you!!!

- Larry of AZ

suddendescent

suddendescent - Jun 17, 2010 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry, man ...

Listen; let the available information (namely the pictures and any accompanying data relating to the area ) guide you towards a preliminairy conclusion.

With your question as to why the mountains were photographed from space , you make me think of some locals wanting to make me look like an idiot which doesn't have the faintest idea on anything despite a college education (which is a very long time back mind you). Everyone is aware that the whole world is photographed from space with satellites !

After reading some old accounts relating to the area I came to the understanding that the place must have lent itself marvelously to picture taking without those taking the poictures wanting to spill the beans on the emplacement ! But to be honest, I surmise that we don't have enough nosey people which have this obsession with the unknown ! Imagine what potentially could be uncovered doing some exploration mostly once considering wildlife . It brings to mind what I had read in an old account claiming the existence of gigantic bears ! Anyone for pictures of something bigger than a grizzly ?...

Since I only have a mountain bike to get around, I guess that I won't end up visiting this year...

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 17, 2010 7:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Sorry, man ...

No offense intended ...
I will look at the pictures. Thanks.

How far is this from your residence ???

As the crow flies ..

suddendescent

suddendescent - Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry, man ...

The distance is about 700 miles from home . Although I'd have to check before confirming assuming that the distance to Baie Comeau is about 700 km's (approx 430 miles). Then there is another 400 Km's (?) to go further north which would make approximately 700 miles in all give or take a couple of miles...

Although the place is easy access being close to a road network and supplies at the Relais Gabriel . Mind you there is another place which stands out as dramatically with satellite imagery which is further south west of the crater . Again I can't find any representative photography ... Mind you, these images are from space . The topography seems to stand out dramatically . Thus the understanding is that what is to observe must be something more dramatic than the mounds they show in the pictures...

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Sorry, man ...

So, does that leave everything up to speculation ???

What's your own theory? Do you believe that
a meteorite actually impacted the Earth in this particular location ???

I know it's remote, but a person would
actually have to visit the site (in person)
to GATHER evidence of what exactly happened
here.

For example, did the impact of the meteorite
create a forest fire? If so, then how recent
are the embers?

And ... what type of rock actually exists
in this area?

Something to think about ...

suddendescent

suddendescent - Aug 5, 2010 1:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry, man ...

Yea, there is conclusive proof in the form of shattercones associated with such impacts.. Regarding ground level imagery , check with Google maps while enacting the picture feature in the "extra" section... Despite the occasionally noteworthy scenery to uncover with such pictures the satellite imagery must be deemed as misleading...

Flash earth (flashearth.com) gives outstanding live images including of the mountains south west of the crater...

Regarding the age of such an impact, it is deemed as being in the vicinity fo 300 million years old...

For those interested, the impact site wasn't as apparent before the cobnstruction of the dam which rose the water level, the immediate area previously encompassing a semi circular lake that didn't fully ressemble the current view...

If you look further south you will remark another impact site which has a recogniseable semi circular shape. The circular form to uncover at water's edge in the immediate vicinity of the town of Sept isle isn't as apparent. Considering the consequences of such impacts which are to account for some topography on earth it is plausable to assume by studying the impact site further south that the impact hit along a south east, north west direction which (to again repeat) is presumed as such after further analysis of the other impact site further south, a little to the east ... Since the impact will generate specific features including fractures , the mountain range south west is presumed as resulting from compressive forces to associate with impact which in accordance to such an assumption would lead us to assume that the meteorite (most probably a comet consider the high central cone) hit in an opposing direction comparatively to the direction previously stated ...

I guess that I'm not adept at describing things...

Viewing: 1-8 of 8