Collado de Pondiellos

Collado de Pondiellos

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78125°N / 0.25471°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: F+ (Easy sup)
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The normal, and almost the only, route to climb the peak Arnales goes to Col of Pondiellos, the same point of access to ridge of Aguja Pondiellos-Garmo Negro and Picos del Infierno. The first part is the same for the three mountains.

Trailhead: Balneario de Panticosa
Slope: 1400m.
Time to summit: 4h 15min.

Getting There

see the main page

Route Description 1

B.Panticosa-Col Pondiellos
Col PondiellosCol Pondiellos
Collado de PondiellosCol Pondiellos

Close to the soccer field in the other side of the big lake we look for the path that ascends in bows up to the Argualas's high Mallata across a evident zig-zag (1h). We take direction to the right towards the Col of Pondiellos leaving to the left side the way that go to Garmo Negro whose mass will be visible well. We take towards the west looking for col of Pondiellos following the cairns (3h 30 min, 2810m).

Route Description 2

Col Pondiellos-Brecha Arnales-Ridge
Brecha de ArnalesBrecha

In the col of Pondiellos we follow the little path between the stones to right side under the west side of Pico de Pondiellos (2917m). We arrive to other col, the Collado de Saretas, under the impressive rocky south face of Arnales. This is a possible route or rock climb (PD, grade II) but the normal route goes to the north following the path in direction to the couluoir of south face of Picos del Infierno. In the point that we don't see the ridge of Arnales in right side we turn to the east (right) to the gap between Picos del Infierno and Arnales. The ramp of access is long and has 30ยบ with snow to reach the Brecha de Arnales with the little Aguja Sur de Infiernos (3002m) in left side and the final ridge of Arnales in right side. Be carefull with the cornises in the col with snow.
We attack the final rocky ridge of grade I+. It has a lot of free stones in some parts and we can to evitate the edge in some points to finally reach the main summit with a great cairn (Arnales, 3002m).
In the summit we can see the south summit (2995m) but it's not higher, you don't need to climb this other summit.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe in winter and spring specially in the access to the Col of Pondiellos. Generally in summer, from july, the access is without snow.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ArnalesRoutes