Colonel Bob Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
walt_

walt_ - Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2018

Colonel Bob, last minute  Sucess!

Steep, adventurous, bush whacking day. Tremendous views from the summit. Wasn't on our list during this Olympic National Park trip but an excellent recommendation in from a ranger in the national forest service office in Quinault. Awesome hike.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 17, 2016 1:39 pm Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2016

The *real* Colonel Bob summit  Sucess!

The current SP page mentions about the trail leading to the summit of Colonel Bob, when in reality it only leads to the former lookout site. The true summit of Colonel Bob is on the next hill to the east, and is all off-trail with steep meadows and scrambling. With that said, I went to both locations and the views are definitely much better from the LO site.

olympicmarmot

olympicmarmot - Feb 1, 2014 4:10 pm

Petes Creek Route  Sucess!

Great all around view.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 5, 2012 2:17 pm Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2012

Pete's Creek Trail Route  Sucess!

After not making it in May, 2009 (snow too steep for my new puppy, Luna), went back on Independence Day 2012 with Luna and met up with friends, Grant and Nina. Had breakfast at Lana's in Hoquiam and then hiking by 9:40 am. At the pass, Nina decided not to continue as she had a race the next day and didn't want to overdo it today. Due to heavy snow in the basin, Luna stayed behind with her while Grant and I slogged up the softening snow. I actually took my axe out and used microspikes. How is there this much snow still on a 4500 foot mountain? Many feet still. We summitted as the clouds parted and enjoyed a warm summit with views to the Pacific. Was back in Portland in time to watch fireworks!

foster fanning

foster fanning - Jan 19, 2012 4:11 am Date Climbed: Jul 4, 1971

In my early trekking years  Sucess!

Short, stout and fun hike. We camped at a small snow-melt pond and nearly caught hypothermia from a quick but cold plunge, Sat around in our sleeping bags with a roaring fire afterwards.

M and N Denyer

M and N Denyer - Nov 2, 2006 8:35 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2006

Anniversay

Celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with a weekend at Lake Quinalt Lodge. We really enjoyed exploring this area. Nice hike with beautiful views.

elizabethan11

elizabethan11 - Oct 24, 2006 4:27 am

Pete's Creek Trail Route  Sucess!

I climbed Colonel Bob with my sister and cousin last August. It was a tough hike but if you're in shape it's really not too bad. Gorgeous view of Lake Quinault from the summit. According to a couple we ran into at the top if it's clear you can see the ocean. Unfortunately, there were some wild fires in Canada affecting visibility.

2skinners - Sep 1, 2005 6:42 am

Route Climbed: Colonel Bob trail and Pete's Creek trail Date Climbed: August 1992, August 1994, August 16 2002, Attempted November 1994 and March 1996  Sucess!

Climbed this with friends first time in 1992, climbed again in August of 1994, Attempted in November of 1994 but too much snow.

Attempted again in March of 1996 but still too much snow. Started walking in circles (never a good sign) so we turned back. Ended up with partial frostbite on my feet on this trip. Last summit was done on August 16, 2002 with my wife, Kenzie who wasn't my wife yet at the time.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Colonel Bob' main page