Convenience Store, 5.8-5.10a

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.05121°N / 116.17075°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

2
Dow leading Big Gulp, 5.10a*

Convenience Store is nothing more than a pit stop on your way up to Key’s Point.  It is a worthwhile stop however due to a route named Big Gulp, 5.10a*.  Big Gulp, although short, follows an outstanding hands splitter crack in unique rock that makes a jig in the middle of the face.  The approach is the same as it is for Key’s Point.  Park at the Boy Scout trailhead and hike to the base of Outward Bound Slab, a popular destination for beginners and guided groups.  It is located via a right turn off the trail when you essentially reach the first T intersection.  Pass Outward Bound on your left and continue through the vegetated valley heading east.  Key’s Point comes into view high up on the left ridge.   Once you get to the second rocky drainage/gully on your left, ascend the boulder field utilizing the right fork.  Soon you can make out (photo) the splitter crack (Big Gulp) on a short feature up on the right.  Leave the drainage/gully for this face where Corn Dog and Big Gulp are located.  Twinkies is down and to the right.  Key’s Point is in clear view to the west, just 20 minutes away at most.  Looking Glass is located north, up and over the col on the backside.

 

Routes Listed Right to Left as you Approach the Formation (NW Face)

Trinkies- 40’-5.8/

Big Gulp- 40’-5.10a*/This is the lone route worth doing on Convenience Store rock via your approach to Key’s Point.  If you stay towards the right side of the split gully as it heads south for Key’s Point, Big Gulp is easy to spot up on the right (west face of Convenience Store).  It is a splitter hand crack with two bends.  #3’s and #2’s protect the short vertical hand crack to the horizontal rail.  Traverse right and then a fun mantle move up to the easy finish.  This small face harbors decent rock relative to this area.  Medium to small gear belay/top rope on top.  Walk off east and north.  Single to #3.  Dow

Corn Dog- 40’-5.9/



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.