Coral Pink Sand Dunes

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 37.03900°N / 112.715°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6000 ft / 1829 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is a beautiful area of sand dunes in southern Utah that are colored a most magnificent shade of coral pink! This is a wonderful place for camping, hiking, photography, playing in the sand, and off-road vehicle riding. Thankfully most of the sand dunes are off-limits to OHV's. But you still may hear their engines wherever you go in the park.

The park comprises 3,730 acres with about 1,000 of it open to OHV's. The swath of sand dunes are bordered by colorful high sandstone cliffs. Vegetation alongside the dunes is your typical pinyon pine and juniper woodland with sage brush and rabbit brush. The dunes do support life as well including various species of grass, jackrabbits, kit fox, coyotes, various birds, reptiles, and unique insects. The Coral Pink Tiger Beetle is a species found nowhere else on Earth. Small ponds that are created from melting snow support salamanders and toads.

The dunes were created by what is known as the Venturi effect where winds funneled between the bordering Moquith and Moccasin mountains speed up and carry wind grains then suddenly slow down as the valley widens thus dropping the sand grains. The sand is from Navajo Sandstone that was deposited in the Middle Jurasic. The sand dunes are estimated to be between 10,000 - 15,000 years old and they get up to about 100 feet high.

Be sure to stop by the small visitor center at the entrance to the park - there they have exhibits on geology and wildlife and a cool collection of sands from around the world. After acquainting yourself take a walk on the boardwalk and 1/2 mile loop nature trail. Then I also recommend exploring off the beaten path as there is much to see and experience and photograph. I think my favorite park about the dunes, besides their color, was the feeling of their fine uniform sand grains beneath my bare feet... I also enjoyed finding animal tracks and unique wind patterns that shaped the sand.

Getting There

Patterns in the Pink Sand IIIPatterns in the Pink Sand


Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is located 22 miles northwest of Kanab, UT on Sand Dunes Road. From Kanab head towards Mt. Carmel Junction. Look for the signed turn-off to the dunes. Continue south on this road to the park entrance.

You can also get to the park from Highway 389 in Arizona near the communities of Hildale and Colorado City. This road is dirt/sand and 4wd is recommended.

Click here for a good map of the area.

Red Tape

Day visits $5. Camping $15. Camping is only allowed in the campground. Campfires may only be built at the designated campsites or picnic sites. It is unlawful to remove, destroy, or molest all plants, animals, and minerals in the park. Pets are allowed but must be on a 6-foot leash. Firearms and fireworks are prohibited. Bicycles are allowed on paved roads.

Picknicking & Camping

Pink Sand DunesPink Sand Dunes and Green Plants


Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park contains 5 picnic sites adjacent to the dunes and a large group-use area. Each site is located on a concrete pad and contains a barbecue grill and picnic table. The group site has a fire pit.

There is also a 22-unit campground with modern restrooms, hot showers, and an RV dump station. Each spacious campsite provides pull-through parking, a picnic table and a barbecue grill. No hookups, some water in the area.

$15 per site, 8 people per site
Stay Limit: 14 Days
Maximum RV Length: 32 feet

External Links

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park Website

NWS Weather Forecast

For more info, please contact

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
P.O. Box 95
Kanab, Utah 84741-0095
(435) 648-2800


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.