Couloir Gaube

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77000°N / 0.148°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice climb
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: TD 600 m. IV 4+ 80º-85º
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Cauterets take the road to Pont d'Espagne. (Parking paying from April. 6 Euros two days). From the parking take the road to de telecabins and then take to the left the route to Gaube lake (50'). Continue by the right side of the lake (RISK OF AVALANCHE!!!) and reach Oulettes the Gaube refuge (CAF) 2160 mts. Total: 2h 30'/ 3h 30' (depends snow condition).

Route Description


From Oulettes go to the seracs under the north face of Grand Vignemale and by the left side reach the crevase (1h30'). Go up the crevase looking for the easiest part. Continue the couloir and in the middle part, when we passed the "Y"'s bifourcation we have the first complications. 10 mts on ice (75º). Continue about another 200 mts to reach the final icefall (R on the left with 3 Universals emplaced). Now, 40-50 mts of 80º-85º give us to the Ossoue gletcher.
NOTE: This is a description of the route in good conditions. Maybe the last icefall could be more difficult.

Essential Gear


ropes 60m, two piolets, 4-6 ice screws, Helmet!!!!!!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.