Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Interesting page. Two summits for the price of one!
Posted May 18, 2005 4:05 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

Nice looking page, Scott that canyon looks gorgeous!
Posted May 18, 2005 10:57 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Thanks Ryan

Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, not Dinosaurland!

Yes, correct. Thanks. I made the change. The region is known as Dinosaurland, but the monument is definately just "Dinosaur".

And the feature I see on the map is 'Cross Mountain Canyon' not gorge.

I noticed that too, but all the locals, as well as John Fielder, and all the kayakers refer to it as Cross Mountain Gorge. I'll make a note of it on the page. I usually take the locals useage over the USGS for the mountain pages. Same is true of Blue Mountain, located just to the west of Cross Mountain. The USGS maps label the crest as Cliff Ridge, but all other sources label the mountain itself as Blue Mountain including all the signs at the scenic overlooks along Highway 40, state and local maps, as well as the locals themselve's, so I chose the later to be used on the page.
Posted May 18, 2005 11:16 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

That's an interesting point about the canyon/gorge. Local nomenclature is definitely important.

I checked out your Blue Mountain page, and I think you handled it well. Looking at the maps from a high level, you can see that Cliff Ridge is a named feature on the larger Blue Mountain and Blue Mountain Plateau. Very confusing nomenclature out there, though! For example, the highpoint of Blue Mountain appears to be Tanks Peak in Colorado, but you need several series of maps to see the big picture.

Split Mountain and its accompanying canyon cut by the Green River looks like it would be beautiful, as well. Ever been over there?
Posted May 18, 2005 1:24 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Yes! They are my mountain pages.

Split Mountain

Split Mountain-South

I don't know why, but no one heads out there to climb any of the peaks. People go out to the Dinosaur area to raft and see the bones, but hardly anyone does any hikes or climbs out there, despite the fact that the scenery is very spectacular.

There is much more to see as well. Check out the slot canyons:

Buckwater Draw

Buckwater Draw-South Fork

Yes, this makes it even more confusing. Vernal residents call the mountain featured on the mountain page "Blue Mountain", and all the scenic overlook sites along the highway label it as such, as well as the local maps. The other Blue Mountain which you refered to is also called the Blue Mountain Plateau or sometimes Blue Mountain. There is also a village in the area in the area with the name of Blue Mountain. This may be the reason the USGS labels the mountain as Cliff Ridge, since there are already other features in the region called Blue Mountain. It is strange that all these features are called Blue Mountain. None look blue and made out of buff and white colored sandstone, covered with green trees. Someone out there has an obsession with the color blue.
Posted May 18, 2005 1:52 pm

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

*lol* I had even voted on Split Mtn South. I wish I had the time to head out there this year, but I think the closest I'll get this summer is Black Mountain in the Elkheads.
Posted May 18, 2005 2:56 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Black Mountain is (from the famous SP phrase) the "hill in my backyard", so I've climbed in twice since October. One time was via Freeman Reservoir and the other from the SE ridge. Let me know if you need any info. If I'm free (its hard to plan in summer-and my scedule keeps changing), I wouldn't mind doing it again with a car shuttle if you're interested. Feel free to stop by Craig too, as we have a big house and few visitors.
Posted May 18, 2005 11:23 pm

vvujisicUntitled Comment

vvujisic

Nice job, Scott!

All the best!
Posted May 18, 2005 12:09 pm

csmcgranahanUntitled Comment

csmcgranahan

Looks great! Reminds me of Colorado National Monument near Fruita/Grand Junction.
Posted May 18, 2005 6:52 pm