Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.02948°N / 120.5245°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7366 ft / 2245 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crow Hill


Crow Hill is home to scenic views of hundreds of peaks in the area. It's viewpoint of Lake Chalen and the mountains east of Lake Chelan make it a great viewpoint to reach. It is a special summit to head up and this is truly a view-baggers dream. There used to be a fire road that went directly to the Crow Hill summit, however that road has now been largely overgrow and many hikers bypass the summit of Crow Hill for the larger Pyramid Mountain roughly 7 1/2 miles to the northwest. Still Crow Hill has great views and if you can make it up to the trailhead.

Crow Hill views


The very high trailhead clearly makes this mountain attainable for even more novice and less conditioned hiker. The high starting trailhead and the gradual rise to the base of the mountain from the Pyramid Trail, makes this mountain a good destination for a first time hike or a good warm-up hike for larger mountains. There is a simple off trail bushwhack of 400 feet but the open slope make this easy to follow up from the trail. In addition during the fall the larches on this mountain light up to announce the incoming season.

The summit of Crow Hill now can be reached by taking the Pyramid Mountain Trail roughly one and a quarter miles. When the trail pass a sub summit Crow Hill will then clearly come into view. Once at the open field turn right and head up to the cairned summit of Crow Hill. I took a look for the summit log but I could not find it on this summit.

Crow Hill Views


Crow Hill can be beat done in the summer and early fall. It is a short ways from the trailhead and usually can be done in less that 2 hours roundtrip. Often Crow Hill is combined with Pyramid Mountain and Graham Mountain. Before attempting Crow Hill keep an eye on where the snowline is. The trailhead is at 6500 feet so snow can linger into the summer here.

Getting There

VIA THE PYRAMID MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD: Starting from the city of Wenatchee you want to head up U.S. 97 to the town of Entiat. You want to make a left on the Entiat River road and take it 28 miles. Make a right on Forest Road 5900 and take it up 8.5 up to the top of ridge to an area called Shady Pass once up continue until you run into Service Road 113 which is a very rough service road. Take that road to the very end where the Pyramid Trail starts.

Red Tape

No red tape except to note that this is bear country. Though I came up in a normal car, I would highly racommend going to this trailhead in a 4 by 4 truck. The last bit of road to the trailhead is extremely rough.

Camping

Backcountry camping is possible in this region. If you want you can even camp near the trailhead. There did look like a couple of places you could bivy on this summit.

Weather and External Links

Here is a link to the best trip reports on Pyramid Mountain and other hikes in the Cascades

Here is the best link to weather and conditions in this region at this elevation

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.