Danae, Ypsiloterafels

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72296°N / 21.62927°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.11d (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: TD, 6a+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 5
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Danae (Ypsiloterafels)

Ypsiloterafels is one of the best rock climbing destination in the Meteora (Μετέωρα) area. It's a mighty and attractive tower located in the Meteora Western Group and it's one of the most characteristic rocks of this sector. It's located near the Teufelsturm (Devils Tower), a little hidden behind the monastery of Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas. Ypsiloterafels counts several high quality multi-pitch routes on its South face and offers great views of the surrounding monasteries and towers. A beautiful route to be climbed is Danae. A curiosity: in Greek mythology, Danaë was an Argive princess and mother of the hero Perseus. 

Ypsiloterafels and West group seen from the summit of Doupiani
Ypsiloterafels and West group seen from the summit of Doupiani

Getting There

Meteora is situated in the Thessaly region of Greece, Northern half of Greece, approximately 25 km NNW from Trikala, and immediately North of Kalambaka and Kastraki, the two main towns in the area, both located very close to the rocks. The closest main town is Larissa. The distance to Kalambaka is about 360 km from Athens and 237 km. from Thessaloníki.

By plane - Meteora can be approached from Athens Eleftherios Venizelos airport or from Thessaloniki airport. From these airports you can:

- take a domestic flight to Larissa (about 85 km from Kalambaka) - rent a car, useful once you are in Kastraki, but not essential, then 4 hour drive to Kalambaka on a new highway. - use public transports (bus or train). Getting to Meteora without a car is easy thanks to the train from Athens that stops in Kalambaka.

By ferry from Italy – If you wish to travel with your own car, there are different shipping companies and many ferries departures to Igoumenitza from the harbours of Ancona, Bari and Brindisi across the Adriatic.Then a mountain road to the small town of Kalambaka at the foot of the wonderful Meteora.

Ypsiloterafels and Devil's Tower
Ypsiloterafels and Devil's Tower

Approach to Ypsiloterafels

The approach trail starts along the road just past the shaded parking lot near Doupianifels. From here walk up the road and take to the left a dirt track. After about 100 m look for a path heading right towards Ypsiloterafels. Stay on this trail until it forks and take the right branch heading uphill in the North direction. In the last part some easy scrambling lead to a shaded terrace under the wall. The starting point of Danae is on the right of the terrace.

Approaching Ypsiloterafels
Approaching Ypsiloterafels
Kelch tower seen from Ypsiloterafels approach
Kelch tower seen from Ypsiloterafels approach

Route Description

Climbing Danae, Ypsiloterafels
Climbing Danae, Ypsiloterafels

 

 

 

Danae - French scale

Summit altitude: 800 m
Difficulty: Alpine TD, max 6a+ (French scale)
Route length: 140 m
Exposure: SE
First ascent: A.Theodoropoulos & D. Karalis, 1997

Stunning route, quite challenging, on excellent rock

 

 

 

From the right end of the terrace at the base of the Ypsiloterafels wall you must reach the first hanging belay, already a few meters high from the ground. 

L1 - From the stance traverse briefly to the right, then climb obliquely to the right with an exposed runout to reach a crack  Climb the bried but hard crack and stop just above on a huge pebble, 6a+, 30 m.

Danae first pitch
Danae first pitch
Danae first pitch, Ypsiloterafels
Danae first pitch, Ypsiloterafels

 

 

 

 

 

L2 - A magnificent pitch, worthy of an anthology! Oblique slightly to the left, then climb directly on large pebbles until the next belay, 5c, 40 m

L3 - Directly with beautiful climbing a little less demanding than the previous pitch on excellent pebbles, 5b, 30 m

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Danae second pitch, Ypsiloterafels
Danae second pitch, Ypsiloterafels
Danae, Ypsiloterafels
Danae, Ypsiloterafels

 

 

L4 - Directly on slightly less steep terrain reach the belay, 3°, 35 m. It is possible to stop here or even continue until the exit from the wall. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow a brief path to reach the top of the tower. Summit book

On Danae third pitch
On Danae third pitch
Top of Ypsiloterafels
Top of Ypsiloterafels

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Descent: abseiling along the route Butterfly

 

Abseiling on Ypsiloterafels
Abseiling on Ypsiloterafels

Essential Gear

For this route you need: 2x50m half/twin ropes, helmet, personal gear (harness, lockers, belay/rappel device, climbing shoes), slings and 7-10 quickdraws 

Climbing grades

Rock Climbing Rating Systems
Rock Climbing Rating Systems

Red Tape

No fees and no permits required. Anyhow, if you are visiting this area, remember not to climb on rock formations with inhabited monasteries. In the Seventies Dietrich Hasse and his team decided, in agreement with local authorities, not to climb any route on these latter rock formations. This rule applies even today. Please preserve all other historical remains. Another important suggestion is not to add fixed protections on the classic routes to the pre-existing ones. If you plan to visit the monasteries, keep in mind to be appropriately dressed: men cannot wear shorts, while women must wear long skirts and not trousers, arms must be covered. Since the year 1988 Meteora was declared a Meteora Unesco World Heritage Site .

Holy Ghost with Holy Ghost Guardian and Doupiani on the right
Holy Ghost with Holy Ghost Guardian and Doupiani on the right

When to climb

All year round (snowfalls are rare) in theory, but summer and winter are not advisable because temperatures may be unpleasant. The best months are late March, April, May, September and October.

Accomodation

There is a wide choice of hotels, B&Bs, rooms for rent and a pair of organized campsites in Kastraki, the village built in the shadow of the Meteora towers. There is also a smaller campsite near the tower of Doupiani.The nearby town of Kalabaka also features many accomodation choices.

Meteo

Meteo Kalambaka

Guidebooks and maps

 

Meteora Guidebook I edition
Meteora Guidebook I edition

“Meteora – Climbing and hiking” by Dietrich Hasse and Heinz Lothar Stutte - I edition 1986, in English and German. It contains around 230 routes. Also, it provides general information about mountaineering, hiking in Meteora, maps, directions.

The second guidebook is:

Meteora Guidebook
Meteora Guidebook II edition

“Meteora Climbing Part II” by the same Heinz Lothar Stutte and Dietrich Hasse – II edition 2000 – German, Greek and English - Note: the II edition is not a complete guidebook, but an update to the I edition

The Meteora guidebooks can be purchased in Kastraki, Taverna Paradisos or Camping Vrachos. There is also a useful map by the same authors that can be purchased in local shops in Kastraki.

 

 

 

 

 

 

External links

Climb Greece - Meteora



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.