Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 11:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Read............

Thanks, Jerry!

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Dec 19, 2010 11:10 am - Voted 10/10

Sounds like the........

Spirits were against you. Perhaps if you referred to it as Deceased Native American Peak, things would have gone better.

I've often wondered how guide book writers keep everything straight and if they have really been everywhere that they write about. Apparently Mr. Turiano either didn't keep it straight or he got his info from someone else.

A question for you, Bob - Do you always carry beer in your backpack?

BTW-Nice report!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sounds like the........

When I go backpacking, I'll pack a beer or two per night. But if I did something longer than three nights, I'd just have to do without.

My guess about the route is that it's based on others' info. The book mentions camp groups as having mainly established it as the standard approach, and they may be the source of the information. Tim was going to ask him about it but didn't get around to it.

musicman82

musicman82 - Dec 19, 2010 12:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Fun trip anyway!

Good read Bob; I promise you that I will definitely take on the extra pound and bring the good tent next time - I don't know what I was thinking! I will also have dozens of tough climbs under my belt by August this time around, so the day trip will be great. I'll post a few pics later today that you can use if you want - I've got a cool one of you looking pissed in the white-out that you might find amusing...

Bill - Bob has taught me how to never backpack without beer, and having that cold one the end of that first day was the greatest thing ever!

Tim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 3:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun trip anyway!

Yeah, those pics would be cool to see, Tim.

musicman82

musicman82 - Dec 19, 2010 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun trip anyway!

OK Bob - I added a few pics for you to attach. I put you as an admin on the ones with you in them; could you do that for me on the of me? I'd like to use it as a profile pic...

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun trip anyway!

Awesome...I will find some spots for them on the page tonight.

You now have admin privileges on that shot of you.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Dec 19, 2010 2:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Mountain/Route page...

...disguised as a Trip Report! Great example of using a TR to not only tell a good story, but to provide excellent beta as well.

Hope the weather cooperates for you next year. Thanks for posting. Mark

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Mountain/Route page...

Thanks, Mark. Tim was going to do the mountain page if we had finished the climb, but this will serve for the time being.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2010 3:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: washouts

The map I have for the area is pretty old and shows the roads the way they were when we were out there. It's possible, of course, that there was once a bridge that got washed out. If the author did indeed go that way, the water levels may have been so low as to not seem deserving a mention, but Sunlight Creek is a major drainage out there, and it's almost always going to be significant water earlier in the summer.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Dec 19, 2010 10:40 pm - Voted 10/10

winter vs. summer?

My read on Turiano is that he did most of the mountains in winter and that his true love is the ski descents. (Apparently he spends the summers hauling tourists up the Tetons.) Would the trailheads and creeks look different under a heavy load of snow? Certainly he'd be parking somewhere else, etc. etc.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 20, 2010 9:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: winter vs. summer?

That's an interesting idea, but the photo of Dead Indian (with route diagram) is clearly a summer picture, and when I checked the index, I found the climb date to be 7/24/01.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Dead Indian Peak-- Tim Was Right and I Was Wrong' main page