Descend to Hatar Village

Descend to Hatar Village

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.08810°N / 51.95200°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

See "Getting There" on main page.

Route Description

Please refer to the Detailed Map of Central Alborz or map of Dokhaharan Massif for the below discussion. Having the 1:50 000 map (See the “Maps” section of Introduction to Central Alborz) can add much more detail. You will need Sheet “6362 II Baladeh” for Shekar Leghas Peak and Hatar Village.



NOTE: This route involves descending 750 m (2500 ft) directly down a steep dirt slope (see photo). For this reason, it will be described as a descend route (and not an ascend route). In snow conditions, the danger of avalanche will obviously be extremely high.

750 m DROP750 m drop


Trailhead: Village of Hatar 2350 m
Shekar Leghas 4278 m
Distance: 13 Km per my GPS
Vertical: 1930 m


From the summit of Shekar Leghas, descend the steep scree slopes and go to the summit of Kooleh Peak or bypass it just below its summit. Follow the top of the fairly gentle western ridgeline of Kooleh Peak toward a few high points known as Varzan Khortab Peak (aka Khortab Sar). This Peak is identified on the above linked map as Point 3629 m. The mentioned ridgeline gradually turns NW/N going toward this peak.

We traversed the first summit of Varzan Khortab (3629 m) on its western slopes and then crossed to the eastern slopes before traversing the second peak (3627 m) (see the 1:50 000 map for details).

Continuing north will suddenly bring you to the edge of a steep slope that drops 750 m (3500 m to 2750 m) at the bottom of a branch of the Yalrood River. In the absence of snow, this slope presents no technical challenges but it is quite tedious to descend.

Once at the bottom of the valley, cross the river to the NE side (will need to take your boots off) and follow the trail to the village of Hatar.

Varzan KhortabVarzan Khortab Peak

Essential Gear

Camping equipment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.