Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 34.41321°N / 117.85686°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4750 ft / 1448 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Devil's Punchbowl is an area of fantastically colored and shaped rocks on the north side of the San Gabriel Mountains near Pearblossom. These rocks are comprised of 13 million year old sedimentary rock layers that were tilted up through the actions of the San Andreas Fault and other nearby faults. Geologists characterize this formation as a plunging syncline. The rocks are all shades of tan, pink, white, and bluish and greenish gray. Cutting through the rocks is a spectacular canyon formed by Devil's Punchbowl Creek. This canyon is around 300-600 feet deep.

The vegetation here is Pinyon Pine-Juniper woodland, with Coulter and Ponderosa Pine at the higher elevations, and cottonwoods and willows along Punchbowl Creek. Commonly seen animals include chipmunks, squirrels, scrub jays, ravens, lizards, and rattlesnakes. Black Bear, bobcats, mountain lions, foxes, mule deer, and bighorn sheep are also seen on occasion. There are several beautiful captive owls near the visitor center that were once injured and would not survive in the wild.

The Punchbowl lies within a Los Angeles County Park that is surrounded by the Angeles National Forest.

For hikers there are 3 trails in the park - a 1/2 mile easy loop, a 1 mile moderate loop trail that descends 300 feet into the punchbowl, providing access to the creek, and a 3.8 mile moderate hike out to the Devil's Chair. The chair is a fantastic rock white rock outcropping that juts into the heart of the punchbowl and has fabulous views. There are also trails that lead higher and further into the Angeles National Forest.

The Devil s Thumb?

For rock climbers, there are several routes available to suite intermediate to expert level climbers, from 5.6-11, mostly sport lead and top rope. Most of the walls face north and feature slight overhanging climbing.

Devil's Punchbowl Rock Climbing

Getting There

Devil s Chair Surroundings

Take Hwy 138 east of Palmdale or west of Phelan. In the town of Pearblossom, go south on Longview Road and then follow the signs to the park.

Red Tape

Hiking along the creek

Devil's Punchbowl County Park is open sunrise to sunset. No camping is allowed within the County Park. Dogs are allowed on a leash. There is no fee to park or enjoy the facilities. No permits are needed to hike but there are trailhead registers to sign in on. Please practice Leave No Trace ethics.

External Links

Group on the Devil s Chair


Devil's Punchbowl County Park

Map of the hiking trails

Area weather forecast

Camping

No camping is allowed at the Punchbowl Proper, but there are Angeles National Forest Campgrounds nearby including South Fork. There is a trail you can hike from this campground to the Devil's Punchbowl.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
T. White

T. White - Oct 30, 2020 5:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Closed due to Bobcat Fire

Reopened on April 1, 2022. The nature center, trail signage, etc. were destroyed but a shaded seating area, kiosk, signage and trail restoration project is in the works by LA County.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Gabriel MountainsAreas & Ranges