Devil's Slide to PCT

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.75880°N / 116.6514°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Humber Park, start on the Devil's Slide trailhead near the toilet facilities at the turn-around parking lot. Devil's Slide will switchback a gradual incline for approx 2.5 miles to Saddle Junction, rewarding you with beautiful views of Suicide Rock, Marion Mtn, Tahquitz Rock and Tahquitz Peak as you make your ascent to approx 8100'.

Route Description

From the sparse wooded area of Saddle Junction, pay attention to all signs posted pointing the way to several different trails. Take the Reeds Meadow trail for about half a mile to the next trail junction. A left turn here takes you to PCT and a right turn will take you to Tahquitz Peak and PCT as well.
Turn right and head for the next junction in approx a mile, here you can turn right for Tahquitz Peak, but take the left and follow PCT for approx 1.5 miles. Red Tahquitz will be on your right, keep following the trail which winds around the mountain. When the trail begins to head south, look for "ducks" that mark trail start of switchbacks to the top,
Use trail from PCT to summitDucks line switchback trail to summit.

or continue on the PCT to loop around southern side of Red Tahquitz for an opportunity to get some Class 3 action in order to gain summit. You will pass Peak 7900 off to your left before transitting west along base of Red Tahquitz. Approx 11 miles round trip.
The obligatory  butt-shot  of...Class 3 fun on southern side.

Essential Gear

Throughout the year when snow is not present, general purpose hiking/approach shoes will do. Daypack with enough food, water and first aid kit to last an entire day. Depending on season, you can possibly find the creek streaming. Map and compass are suggested as you will find yourself in some tucked away wilderness.
With snow present, crampons, gaiters and ice axe should be handy. There are some steep, foreboding sections on the trail.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.