Direct Eastern Ascent

Direct Eastern Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.72960°N / 17.8351°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You get to the trailhead via La Palma's mountain road LP-22. It winds for ever from Santa Cruz at sea level to about 1900m, where the trailhead is located. Actually you can drive a rugged forest road even higher up to gain another 100m.

Route Description


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1900m
      - Summit altitude: 2232m
      - Prevailing exposition: west
      - Type: 90min along marked paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 350m of altitude gain
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy

    The shortest ascent to Pico de la Nieve starts at a parking lot on LP-22. Head westward along LP-22 for a couple of minutes before the trail turns to the left (south and starts climbing the lower slopes of Pico de la Nieve. You cross one of the beautiful Canarian pine forests at first and after 20min the trail lowers to the second (higher) parking lot. Pass it on the northern side but immediately afterward turn south on a slope traverse of about 1km.

    The trail zigzags uphill for a couple of minutes before you reach an intersection. The left-hand trail leads to Punta de los Roques, the right hand trail leads directly to Pico de la Nieve. You can take both trails the latter is the more direct and shorter one. The remainder of the ascent follows the trail without any significant problems and you reach Ruta de la Cresteria directly to the south of the Pico de la Nieve summit. Follow the crest trail, which passes the summit on its eastern side. On the easternmost part of the loop around the summit turn left (west) and head for the summit by a short scramble.

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear all year. Maybe crampons in winter.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.