Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - May 16, 2013 8:36 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent!!

... and I have to recalculate my altitudes.

The altitudes will change a bit, the champions for each continent, however, will remain. Huascaran is a fierce competitor for Chimborazo in the race for the highest ...

http://www.summitpost.org/my-highest-ones-the-seven-summits-downgraded/846667

Thanks, Paul, for this excellent contribution!

Wolfgang

Klenke

Klenke - May 16, 2013 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!!

I contend that the champions may not stay the same. You may want to have an independent check of your work done.

Wolfgang Schaub

Wolfgang Schaub - May 17, 2013 2:38 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent!!

That's exactly what I am after: independent check.

I also have a problem with the 2 formats of your equation. Separate note to follow.

nartreb

nartreb - May 17, 2013 11:05 am - Hasn't voted

different HTML format??

yes, surely the two equations listed just after the title "the Equation" are not equivalent?

First one is all under a square root, which is missing in the second. Also, the second term has 2Z times a two-term square root; that root is missing in the second equation.

I lost track of the parenthesis in the Excel version, but I think it tracks the first form.

Klenke

Klenke - May 17, 2013 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: different HTML format??

It's an issue with your browser. It looks fine (is correct) in Mozilla but the square root symbols are missing in Internet Exploder. Try a different browser. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to put that note in the write-up, or simply remove the square root symbols everywhere to avoid the problem and instead go with 0.5 exponents.

The page isn't finished and I am learning some of the these math-related html formats. There are more html math possibilities than I ever realized.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - May 22, 2013 6:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome!

Glad to see others care about this stuff! Time to play :)

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 28, 2013 5:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Use equipotential surface

...that's my bias.

Enkidu

Enkidu - May 28, 2013 8:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Centre of Gravity

Great article.

I think elevation should be measured from earth's centre of gravity as the distance from the CG is what affects my weight and and the effect of gravity is also what holds the atmosphere in place and is consequently responsible (I know there are other local factors at play) for how much oxygen is available to breath. Last time I read anything on the topic the CG was about 10km from the geometric centre.

rgg

rgg - May 30, 2013 7:33 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Centre of Gravity

Could you give references to this? From what I understand, WGS 84 is already based on the Earth's center of gravity, see here.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Jun 6, 2013 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Important Calculation

Paul, Your formula produces a result that says my Lazy Boy is 3,957.457 miles from the center of the earth. I always wondered about that measurement because I want to keep my distance from that hell. It appears that heaven is much closer.

Dark Star - Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Unicode Equation

Don't know if this will help anyone but I converted your equation into Unicode, I used ϕ phi for latitude but here is theta: θ

√[(a⁴ cos²(ϕ)+ b⁴ sin²(ϕ))/(a² cos²(ϕ) + b² sin²(ϕ)) + 2(Z + G)√[a² cos²(ϕ) + b² sin²(ϕ)] + (Z + G)²]

You can paste that into Wolfram|Alpha and it will format it nicely for you, like so: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IoCuHBZH0xg/V7YKtKGWFtI/AAAAAAAACBk/BTFqyTMn1TUGhNL3rkFHu2MFEUIijaJLQCLcB/s1600/equation-for-height-relative-to-geoid.gif

Usually I can get wolfram|alpha to accept value assignments and solve the equation but it just wouldn't work for this one - maybe too many equations.

now the question is -- will this comment post work with Unicode...

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Distance to the Center of the Earth' main page