Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.06561°N / 7.80029°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 3, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Description:

Start at 3.30 o'clock from the Dom hut 2940m. Over the Festi glacier with a lot of crevasses to the Festijoch3723m, the ascent at the northern edge. In the ascent to Festijoch, there are blue fixed rope. Ahead over the beautiful and famous Festi-ridge, it is about 40-45 degrees steep, maximum 45 degrees and expands over 800 metres in altitude. When the ridge has firn it is not so difficult. if the Festi-ridge is icy, then it is dangerous, many humans died there and not only beginners. One should commit the ridge early or late in the season, if still snow is present (June or at the beginning of July).

The descent is done over the normal route of the Dom, over the north flank. This route across the Hobärg-glacier, this has a lot of crevasses.
There comes again an ascent to the Festijoch and a long descent after Randa. We descended within the same day, from Dom 4545m to
the village Randa 1408m, these are 3100 metres in altitude.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Facts:

> Route: Dom hut 2940m (SAC Uto) - Festi glacier - Festijoch 3723m - Festi ridge - Dom - Hobärg glacier - Randa 1408m

> Difficulty: WS+ (PD+) / II. Route No. 540 & 539.

> Time required: 6 hours for the ascent.

> Guide book: "Hochtouren im Wallis" from Hermann Biner or "Clubführer Walliser Alpen No.5 vom Strahlhorn zum Simplon" from Maurice Brandt.

> Link to Dom 4545m: Link to the Dom

Written and climbed by Cyrill
If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me: cyrill74@gmx.ch

Täschhorn 4491m & Dom 4545mDom 4545m (in the middle)
Dom 4545m- Mischabel groupDom 4545m (in the middle)

Accommodation

> Dom hut 2940m - Link to the Dom hut

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DomTrip Reports