Double Point Comments

surgentNice 'low' peak

surgent

I was in the region as a kid and remembered it being 'neat'. I hope you don't get dinged for posting a peak lower than 500 feet elevation, but even the little ones have their moments, too. Nice page!
Posted Jan 31, 2008 9:04 am

Bubba SuessRe: Nice 'low' peak

Bubba Suess

Thanks! It is a "neat" area, in my opinion. One of the few wilderness coastlines in the Lower48. I hope I don't get dinged too. I figured it was close enough to 500 that I might squeeze it in. Plus, when you are on the summit, it feels a lot higher, since it climbing straight out of sea level.
Posted Jan 31, 2008 10:02 am

surgentBeen to Sinkyone?

surgent

My wife took me there in '03, and we hiked it briefly, but not the full length. Looks kind of similar to this area - an untouched coastal section of NorCal. I was blown away by Sinkyone. Love the whole north coast.
Posted Jan 31, 2008 2:38 pm

Bubba SuessRe: Been to Sinkyone?

Bubba Suess

I have been up there a few times. I was backpacking on the Lost Coast trail a while back when I encountered a guy with a full pack, a deep sea fishing pole and a surfboard strapped to his pack. He had spent a week on a wilderness surfing trip. Backpacking to go surfing...it does not get more California than that.

Sinkyone is a state park. Just to the north is the King Range National Conservation Area:

www.summitpost.org/area/range/154421/lost-coast-wilderness-and-kings-range.html

It is all worth a trip though. Of course, I am addicted to your neck of the woods. I can't get enough of the southwest.
Posted Jan 31, 2008 5:48 pm

surgentRe: Been to Sinkyone?

surgent

I am too... and addicted to every neck of the woods. I would love to just bum around the NorCal coast, Oregon and Wash (and BC, etc) to climb peaks, hike canyons, camp, get lost for a summer. I huiess I'll just have to make do with all the great desert peaks and our high country. Sigh :)
Posted Feb 1, 2008 4:14 pm

theronmoonGreat Page!

theronmoon

Love Point Reyes! Can hike there for days.
Posted Jan 31, 2008 9:17 am

Bubba SuessRe: Great Page!

Bubba Suess

It is a remarkable and singular place. Thanks for the support!
Posted Jan 31, 2008 10:03 am