Dunraven Pass Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.79800°N / 110.434°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 3.0 miles (one-way to the summit)
Trailhead Elevation - 8859'
Summit Elevation - 10243'
Gain - 1400'

Approach

Park at the summit of Dunraven Pass. There are facilities there and a sign posted next to the trailhead giving an overview of the route.

Route Description

Summit and False SummitSummit and False Summit
Looking BackLooking Back

Start up the trail from the summit of Dunraven Pass. Initially the trail is somewhat steep but levels off after a short time. After wrapping around the mountain the trail will begin to switchback higher up the slope. Just before the switchbacks you will be able to see a large rock outcropping above the trail and the fire tower in the distance. The rock outcropping is a bit of a false summit since it looks taller from along the trail. After switchbacking up you will reach the large outcropping and turn straight towards the fire tower. Once you get below the summit you will wrap around the summit two or three times before you reach the actual summit. During the beginning of wraping around the summit you will intersect with the other trails, just continue up the mountain to the summit. The fire tower on the summit has an enclosed observation area on the first floor, an open balcony above, and bathrooms.

Summit ViewSummit View

Note: The "trail" is really an old road and asphault can still be seen in many places.

Essential Gear

Typical gear for a day hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.