Early Summer Mount Yoran

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 30, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Mount Yoran in Half a Day

Diamond Peak from TrailheadView from V. Lake Trailhead


I had never been to the Diamond Peak Wilderness before and I wanted to make a quick, one-day trip near home.

I called the Middle Fork Ranger Station and confirmed that the Vivian Lake Trailhead was accessible; no snow on the roads despite the crummy weather recently.
I brought gaiters because I assumed, although the trailhead was snow-free, I would hit my fair share on the way to Mount Yoran and Divide Lake at almost 6400 feet.
I got a late start after work and got to the Vivian Lake Trailhead probably around 12 or 1 in the afternoon.
I made my way past Notch Lake only running into small pockets of snow.

TermitesTermites doing their thing
Mount Yoran TrailNot all the trail was snow-covered


After turning on to the Mount Yoran trail about a mile in, the trail was completely covered by snow almost all the way to Divide Lake. Old, slightly overgrown trailmarkers hacked into the trees led the way, but my routefinding skills were still put to the test.
The VortexFound this Vortex on the Mount Yoran Trail



Yoran s S GullySouth Gully of Mount Yoran

I finally reached Divide Lake and the base of Mount Yoran at 3:30 or 4. Following the trail on the way up proved difficult.
Divide LakeYoran above Divide Lake


The scramble up the south gully involved A LOT of loose rock, but nothing too dangerous or difficult. Made it to the summit in gorgeous weather in probably 30-40 minutes from Divide Lake.

View from the TopSouth from the Summit



Heading Down

Snow Lines

The snow is certainly melting out though, and the trail should be easier to follow in a few weeks I would imagine.




I probably spent too long on the summit, and I passed Notch Lake on the way back the sun was setting. I definitely had to grab this shot.
Notch LakeSunset reflected in Notch Lake



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount YoranTrip Reports