East Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.94530°N / 106.4375°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route would be used for a Huron/Missouri combo, and is more difficult than the standard route from Winfield. From US 24 drive 10 mi. W on Clear Creek road to Rockdale on the left. If you have 4WD, ford Clear Creek (may be 2 feet deep) and go 2.4 mi. S on the very rough Cloyses Lake road to the gate and the sign to the Mt. Huron trail at about 10,900 ft. However, you most likely will have to hike this road.

Route Description


The route starts at the same place as Roach's Colorado's Fourteeners route 12.4, but it is not the same route. You climb the east basin, not the northeast basin as Roach describes. I have tried both, and this way is better, although still difficult.

Follow the well marked trail down to the stream just north of Cloises Lake and cross the stream. Here is where the route differs from Roach. Continue SSW on the faint trial, which switchbacks up steeply to treeline. You should emerge about 200 yards N of Lois Lake. There is no trail from here on. Climb steeply NW around the willows (not easy) to a broad, almost flat area. Continue W and steeply up the talus and scree ridge where you will join the standard route to Huron at the saddle at 13,200 ft. Turn left here and climb to the summit.

If you plan to descend the same way, be sure you look back a lot as you climb because it is much easier to get lost when descending. Pay careful attention to where the trail starts at treeline. If you parked at Rockdale it might be faster to hike down the standard northwest slopes route and then 2 miles down Clear Creek road.

If you are coming from Missouri you do not have to hike all the way down to the trailhead. Instead cross the stream just below (north of) Cloises Lake (near the old cabin) and pick up the trail. It is easier crossing here than slogging through the marshes above the lake.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking stuff (summer).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.