East Chute

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.55700°N / 118.262°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk-up/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Whitney Portal Campground, hike across the campground along a series of paved driveways and follow the signs carefully through a summer home area. The trail soon leaves the summer homes and enters the John Muir Wilderness. There are good views of Lone Pine Peak along the trail. At 11,150 feet the trail reaches a flat area near a small tarn and a small creek. From here the route to the Lake is along a ducked use trail. The trail climbs 3600 feet total before reaching Meysan Lake at 11,450 feet.

Route Description


From Meysan Lake, climb up the chute immediately north of the east ridge extending from Mt.Mallory towards Meysan Lake. The chute contains much loose rock and sand. Climb over the chockstones on the right side. As the chute widens, continue up towards the right (north), climbing up the broad sandy slope.

Essential Gear


None required.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.