East Ridge of Sutton Mountain

East Ridge of Sutton Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.64990°N / 120.1519°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

To get to Sutton Mountain from the north, take Interstate 84 to Biggs Junction exit 104, and head south on US 97 ten miles to the Junction with OR 206. Head west on 206 through Wasco and continue for about 42 miles to Condon passing a wind farm on the way. At Condon, turn south onto OR 19 and continue 38 miles through Fossil to the Junction with OR 207 at Service Creek. Head south on OR 207 to milepost 15 and park on the left shoulder at a bend in the road, where there is a pull-off.

To get to Sutton Mountain from the south or west, find your way to Prineville, OR. From Prineville, drive east on US 26 for about 48 miles. At a junction with OR 207, turn left. Follow this road about 10 miles to milepost 15 and park on the right at a bend in the road.

To get to Sutton Mountain from the east, follow US 26 to the same junction with OR 207, turn right and continue about 10 miles to the pull-off at milepost 15.

Route Description

From the pull-off, cross the road and head north, soon reaching a dirt road on the left where a corral will be visible. Take this road through a gate signed “access route to public lands”. Please be courteous and close the gate behind you so the cows don’t get out. The path veers right past a sign proclaiming that no motorized vehicles are allowed. Pass through a gate with a sign telling you that you are entering a wilderness study area. Follow the old road uphill a little less than a mile to a fork in the road. Veer right at this fork and continue uphill on the road until you reach the top of the east ridge of Sutton Mountain. From here, leave the road and head crosscountry uphill along the ridge about a mile to the summit of Sutton Mountain where you will find a benchmark and great views of the Painted Hills. If you are observant, you may see a few Simpson’s hedgehog cactus along the way.

Hedgehog Cactus

Essential Gear

No gear required in summer, snowshoes or skis would be needed if snow-covered.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.