East Ridge via Breckenridge Ski Resort

East Ridge via Breckenridge Ski Resort

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.45180°N / 106.1054°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


For this route, you begin at the Breckenridge ski resort. Your starting point will differ based upon snow and whether Breck is still operating.

Drive to South Park Avenue on the south end of Breckenridge. Turn west and drive 0.2 miles and turn left on Village Road. Drive 0.2 miles on Village Road and turn left into a large parking lot near the Beaver Run complex. Turn left, cross the lot and turn right onto County Road (CR) 751 (dirt). This road leads to the top of the Peak 9 section of the ski area. After 0.5 miles keep left. There is a gated road on the right. Pass a lift and drive around to another intersection near 0.8 miles. Stay right on the main road and begin the climb into the ski area. Near 1.5 miles, stay right. Near 3.0 miles, go under a lift. Stay on the main road and pass the Peak 9 Restaurant. Continue up to the highest lifts near 3.6 miles. This is the trailhead. Past this point, the road is rough and 4WD is required.

In winter and spring while Breckenridge Ski Resort is still operating, you can take the Mercury Super Chair to the start of this route. Above the lift, start up the road. Backcountry access is not always open here, so call the ski patrol to check on the status before you plan a trip. Never duck closed backcountry gates. This violates the Colorado Skier Act, and will get you a hefty fine.


Peaks 9 and 10 above the Peak 9 Restaurant. CR 751 is visible in the photo.

Route Description


Depending on where you park on the road, follow the rest of the road to where it branches off for the Peak 10 road, and angle across a large basin between Peaks 9 and 10. The route ahead will be obvious. Gain the East Ridge of Peak 9 and follow it all the way to the summit.

Route Stats
Round Trip Mileage(from Beaver Run): 10.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 3335 feet

Round Trip Mileage(from Peak 9 Restaurant): 5.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 1920 feet


Essential Gear


In summer, standard hiking gear will suffice. In spring or winter, standard snow and winter gear will be necessary.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Peak 9Routes