East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72400°N / 113.963°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Bushwhack
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access the East Ridge Route from Ketchum Idaho, drive northeast on Trail Creek Road for 22 miles, up and over Trail Creek Summit on a good gravel road, until reaching the turnoff for Wildhorse Canyon, Antelope Pass, and Copper Basin on the east side of the road.

Take the gravel dirt road for 11 miles past Wildhorse Canyon until entering the Copper Basin and reaching the Copper Basin Loop Road.

Take the Copper Basin Loop Road south for a further 10 miles to Star Hope Campground. Continue just past the campground until seeing a small sign indicating Star Hope Canyon. Take this road and continue driving southward.

The Star Hope Road quickly deteriorates in condition and a four-wheel drive, high clearence vehicle is needed. Park around 2 miles from the turnoff at the base of the west face of Glide Mountain.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:3
  • Total Elevation Gain:2,300'
  • Class:II

    From Star Hope Canyon Road, descend down into Star Hope Valley and cross Star Hope Creek, which may be difficult in high water.

    Continue across the valley floow aiming for the sage covered slopes below the east ridge that forms at about 9,000'. Climb the talus strewn, sage covered hill through two aspen groves to a large rockfield below the spot where the ridgeline forms. It appears as though the terrain may be easier a bit further south on the slope but it isn't.

    Climb the strenuous class II talus field to gain the ridge. Once on the ridgeline, follow it occasionally dropping to either the west or east sides to avoid some iffy terrain to the ragged false summit of Glide Mountain.

    Walk 200 yards north to reach the true summit.

    Essential Gear


    No essential gear required for this route.

    Be sure to bring all standard outdoor gear as this climb is very isolated from any amenities.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.