East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00130°N / 113.5356°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II-III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Directions from Arco to the Hidden Peak Standard Route
Drive north on Highway 93 for 18 miles until reaching the Pass Creek Summit Road turnoff on the northeast side of the highway.

Take this improved gravel road 8.7 miles to an unnmarked turnoff for Bear Creek Road and Bear Creek. Take this narrow and somewhat rough road 1.5 miles to the trailhead parking area.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:8
  • Total Elevation Gain:4,000'
  • Class: II-III

    From the trailhead, hike up Bear Creek on a well worn trail for about 1 mile until reaching a junction. Go left and continue about another 1.5 miles to Bear Creek Lake.

    Contour around the shores of the lake and scramble north up the draw leading in from above. At the top of the draw at 9,800 feet, Hidden Peak will appear as well as several other towering mountains.

    Travel across the basin to the base of the east ridge at the saddle between Hidden Peak and Peak 10,800' (Octoberfest Peak).

    Turn west and climb the ridgeline where the best footing can be found above the impressive northeast face. Once at 10,700' turn southwest and climb the remaining 600; to the summit. There are some easy class III moves directly on the ridgeline that may be easily avoided by bypassing on the south side of the ridge.

    Essential Gear


    .

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.