East Slope/Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.10110°N / 119.323°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the trailhead, follow the well-worn fisherman's trail up to Tamarack Lake. This lake is rumored to have some of the very best fly fishing in the entire state. I can't verify this, I don't fish much anymore, but when I walked by, the fish were leaping everywhere. One of the locals tells me he catches a fish on almost every cast.

After Tamarack Lake, the trail disappears, but contour on the left (east) slope of the basin, past some small unnamed lakes to Hunewill Lake. Stay on the east side of Hunewill Lake, and then on the east side of a small rock buttress composed of steep dark red rock. Negotiate a couple of terminal moraines, and soon you're at the toe of the peak itself.

Route Description


The actual Northeast Ridge is vertical or better to start, and the rock is not of the best quality. Head left up a chute until you reach a small red headwall. Climb this headwall, steeeeep 3rd class on sometimes questionable rock, and re-gain the ridge above. The views off the north side of the ridge are straight down for quite a ways. The ridge eventually curls up and joins the summit ridge for 2nd-3rd class scampering.

Essential Gear


Sticky approach shoes are nice if you like the steeper sections of the ridge, but if not, any comfy shoes will work on the East Slope. Water is plentiful in the basin, so only a small day pack should be necessary.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.