East Slopes Standard Route Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
BKiser90

BKiser90 - Jul 13, 2023 9:30 am Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2023

Be Ready for Snow  Sucess!

Backpacked in 7/10 to Snowmass Lake. Clear trail the whole way. Started from Snowmass Lake at 3:30 am on 7/11. Snow and mud obscured the route around the lake which slowed us down. The scree gully was terrible in the dark as we missed the crossover to the tundra trail. Snow was firm until near the ridge on the standard route then it became wet and slushy. Crampons had a hard time but ice axe worked well to secure during the climb. Class 3 scramble was dry and fun to the top. Summitted at 8:30 am. Spent a half hour on the top admiring the views. Glissaded down the ridge direct route. 3 hours down the mountain to finish at noon. Packed out on 7/12 back down to TH.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Sep 16, 2015 4:43 pm Date Climbed: Sep 13, 2015

Finisher!  Sucess!

Long approach to the lake, actual climb from lake is easier than i thought, great views from summit!

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Mar 2, 2013 4:09 pm Date Climbed: Oct 22, 2011

Nice October day  Sucess!

Beautiful, crisp fall day. The snowmass was all powdery snow about a foot deep...made for lots of post-holing. We headed straight up the steeper gully closer to the summit which was an interesting snow thrash. Final ridge scramble was short and sweet. No problems. Descent sucked. Camp at Snowmass Lake was one of my favorite spots in Colorado!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'East Slopes Standard Route' main page