East-to-Southwestern Flank Traverse

East-to-Southwestern Flank Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.56510°N / 107.139°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up w/3rd Class Climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The directions are on the main page.

Route Description


From the end of the dirt road, head towards the southern end of the main mass of rock that is Cerro de Guadalupe. You can see up what looks like the way to the saddle from the corner of the rock formation, but that is a dead end. Cut laterally across the slope to the next rock outcropping and turn the corner there. Another gully separates this turn from the Southwestern Flank of the peak (the only way up to the saddle). Above and across the gully is a small arch created by a several rocks piled on each other. Once you’ve passed the arch, you can climb straight up to the saddle along a slightly worn path. To get to the summit from the saddle, you have to take a slight right and walk along the edge of a cliff to the northeastern ridge line stemming from the summit. Climb up the somewhat exposed ridge to the top.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking gear is all that is really needed. A helmet is recommended.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.