Eastern Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.14520°N / 105.5284°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy off-trail Class 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This short jaunt offers relatively easy navigation through sometimes dense timber. As the start of this hike is off of an unmarked 4x4 trail to a trail with no name, you can almost be assured ample solitude.

Roundtrip Distance: Approximately 2 miles
Elevation Gain: Net gain of approximately 1,000 feet from the end of the unmarked road
YDS Rating: Class 2

Getting There

Looking northeast from a branch of the unnamed roadIf you get to this point, you've gone too far on the un-named branch of FS 114.


While the dirt roads leading toward UN 10,462 are not particularly rocky, the ruts can be deep. A high clearance vehicle is recommended for dry conditions. The dirt roads in this area turn into a sticky quagmire with moisture; if rain is expected or snowmelt is present, 4x4 is a must.


  • The turnoff for FS 214 is about ½ mile south on of the turnoff for the Twin Eagles campground and trailhead on Park County 77.

  • Head west on FS 214 for 1.3 miles to an unmarked right-hand fork in the road; take this un-marked fork to the right (while FS 214 continues to your left).

  • Follow this unmarked road for about another ½ - ¾ mile to the low point where a gulch enters from the left/north; turning right up the gulch, follow another unmarked road. (If the original unmarked road you were on begins climbing and reaches a small saddle at about 9,500, you have gone too far; backtrack down the hill to your northeast and find the gulch.)

  • Continue west on this unmarked road as far as your vehicle and driving skills will take you, or until the road ends.

Route Description

End of the RoadThis spot marks the end of the un-marked branch of FS 114 and the start of your foot journey


  • Follow the unnamed branch of FS 114 west and then northwest.

  • The road will end at a cul-de-sac where the ascent up the un-named gulch steepens.

  • Leave the road behind and ascend the gully heading northwest. Keen off-trail eyes may pick up on an elk trail that ascends the gully toward the saddle.

  • The timber on the northwest-facing slopes of the lower summit is very dense. To avoid this, do not top off at the top of the saddle. Instead, stay on the southeast-facing side of the ridge leading from the saddle to the top of the lower, eastern summit.

  • Ascend the lower, eastern summit (avoiding rock outcroppings as necessary). From here the views throughout the eastern spectrum are wide-open and delightful. To your west, the true summit is visible.

  • Head west off of the lower, eastern summit, descending to the saddle with the true summit.

  • Turn west-northwest from the saddle and hike up the slopes of the summit.

  • The top is marked by a rock cairn, a ghost pine tree and a summit jar.

  • Retrace your steps to the lower, eastern summit and again enjoy the views from the rocky ledges.

  • Head northeast back toward the un-named gully (carefully avoiding the dense timber on the northwest side of the ridge).

  • Descend the gully (the elk path offers the easiest footing).

  • The road will come into view as, eventually, will your vehicle.


Route Map_UN10462The Trails Illustrated Map #105 (Tarryall Mountains / Kenosha Pass) does not even begin to properly reflect the complexity of the road system in this area.
While the map represents a clean, crisp FS 114 cutting through the scrub and forest, the reality is that FS 114 has multiple spurs and offshoots, most marked, some not.

Essential Gear

  • Trail map (#105 Tarryall Mts., Kenosha Pass would meet most needs)

  • Compass

  • Sturdy hiking boots

  • Long pants to protect legs while bushwacking

  • Water and snacks

  • A camera to save memories of the views

  • First aid kit

  • Other standard backcountry essentials

Northwest Slopes = Dense TimberNorthwest Slopes = Dense Timber;
avoid this by staying to the southeast of the ridge from the saddle.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UN 10462Routes