Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.74667°N / 116.7627°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8850 ft / 2697 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Special Note

Please let me know if you would like add information to or adopt this page.

Overview

Eastpost Spire lies just to the East of Bugaboo and Snowpatch Spires. It is easily accessible from the Conrad Kain hut and thus would be a less committing climb than the more popular spires during periods of questionable weather. Eastpost is also one of the few peaks in the Bugs that can be scrambled and one can do so without crossing any of the glaciers. This makes it feasible for a solo climb, but interested scramblers would be wise to note that it is not an easy scramble--class four by the easiest route--and not on the most sound of rock. The summit offers spectacular views of Bugaboo and Snowpatch Spires as well as Marmolata Peak and Hounds Tooth.

Getting There

Bugaboo Provincial Park is located in South-East British Columbia. The best access to the Kain hut is via a logging road that heads West from the tiny town of Brisco on BC HWY 95, between Golden and Radium Hot Springs. There is a sign from HWY 95 marking the turnoff and following signs for Bugaboo Prov. Park gets you to the trailhead in 45 km from HWY 95. This road is not very rough, but is subject to occasional washouts so inquire locally if you're heading that way early season or after a storm. Also, this is an open-range area so watch for cattle (a good strategy is to count cattlegaurds and be extra cautious when you are on an odd number:) The hike to Kain hut is 7 km with ~750m elevation gain. Trail maintenence crews have dutifully installed steps, ladders and chains to get hikers over the questionable sections of trail, and to make sure it's a safe hike out in inclement weather. You will pass to the South of Eastpost spire immediately before reaching the Kain hut, and the scramble route begins just near the Applebee dome camping area above.

Red Tape

Entering and parking in Bugaboo Provincial park is free of charge, but you'll pay to camp or stay in the hut.

Camping

Excellent tenting can be had at Applebee dome camping area (immediately below Eastpost Spire.) I highly recommend a stay in the Kain Hut though, if it's not too crowded. Reservations can be made through the Alpine Club of Canada, or you can just walk in, but beware that it does fill up in high-season. As of September 2007 the pricing was $5/person for tenting and $22/person for hutting. Payments for both are made to the hut keeper, or at the self-registration shelf in the hut itself.

External Links

Bugaboo Provincial Park ACC



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bugaboo ClimbsMountains & Rocks